Did VHF transceiver need TSO certificate?

Old March 27th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Did VHF transceiver need TSO certificate?

Gentleman,

We want to know whether VHF transceiver in ultralight aircraft need
TSO certificate. Is there non TSO VHF transceiver which was used in
ultralight aircrafts?

Thanks for all.

Luo

Old March 28th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
User

A VHF radio only needs to be TSO'd if the aircraft is registered in the
IFR category. Thanks Michael

Old March 28th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

That is NOT true.

Jim

Old March 28th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Your right in the US Jim and that is probably where the OP was asking from
but look at the address of "user." He is in the land down under. Maybe they
do have to be TSO'd there.

RST Engineering wrote:
That is NOT true.

Jim

Old March 29th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Your right in the US Jim and that is probably where the OP was asking from
but look at the address of "user." He is in the land down under. Maybe they
do have to be TSO'd there.

It would have to be, as there is no such thing as "IFR Category" here
(but there is on Oz).
Old March 29th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Ron Natalie wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Your right in the US Jim and that is probably where the OP was
asking from but look at the address of "user." He is in the land
down under. Maybe they do have to be TSO'd there.

It would have to be, as there is no such thing as "IFR Category" here
(but there is on Oz).

Very true and sort of confusing when it comes to homebuilts. I can't quite
understand the reasoning behinde the fact that "I" can install any NAV/COM
in my plane including one I built myself if I so desired and shoot IFR
approches in IMC but can't use a brand new 430W that "I" install to shoot
GPS IFR approches but can use the same 430W to shoot ILS approches.

Old March 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_6_]

The only radio you can install that you built yourself (as far as I
know) is the RST series of Nav/Coms from Jim. Not sure he still sells
them. Not aware of anyone else offering kit radios. To use a radio in
an aircraft, it must be type certificated in the USA (I'm speaking about
USA rules...and does not necessarily apply to any other countries)...

Scott

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old March 29th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

I was really talking more about the installation rules for an IFR GPS. And
while there may be FCC rules about me building my transmitter I don't think
they would apply to me building a NAV receiver. I could be wrong but that
isn't the point. The FAA have created a set of rules for use of a GPS
receiver that are much more strict than those for a NAV radio that the
installation and use of is at least just as complex.

Old March 30th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_6_]

I understand what you're saying! I am not IFR rated and won't even
get into the IFR rules for TSO etc. since I don't know. I guess if you
have the desire to know for sure, you might call your local FSDO and ask
them. That should eliminate a lot of the guesswork. If they won't
approve it, it won't be flying...

Scott

Old March 30th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 27, 5:40 am, wrote:
Gentleman,

We want to know whether VHF transceiver in ultralight aircraft need
TSO certificate. Is there non TSO VHF transceiver which was used in
ultralight aircrafts?

Thanks for all.

Luo

TSO is only required for part 135 operation (comercial) in the US. For
example, the KX-170B that was the main NAV/COM used for many years, is
not TSO'd. The KX-175 is the TSO version of it.

Bud

FS: Val Com 760 TSO Transceiver aieo Aviation Marketplace 8 January 25th 07 04:38 PM
FA: 760ch transceiver EOC Aviation Marketplace 0 July 27th 05 08:23 PM
CFI's who use a transceiver or handheld GPS? BoDEAN Piloting 10 April 9th 04 03:03 AM
Transceiver BoDEAN Products 0 April 7th 04 06:08 AM
WANTED: KX-99 Transceiver Scott Soaring 0 January 8th 04 07:04 AM