Volkslogger + Mac

Old April 7th 05, 04:18 PM
Wouter Wessels

Default Volkslogger + Mac

Hi,

For years I have been frustrated that there was no way to read the
Volkslogger GPS logger with my Mac ...

So, being a Mac programmer, I wrote the software myself.

http://www.GeoPS.nl

It is now in Public Beta, so everybody can download it for free and try
it.
In the next couple of weeks it will be released ... for free:
No trial version
No fee
No Nothin'
Well ... maybe I will make a "Donate lotsa money because I like the
program so much" button on the site ;-)

I hope many people will use it, make great flights with their
Volkslogger and download the flights on their Mac ;-)

Cheers,
Wouter Wessels

Old April 7th 05, 05:04 PM
bumper

Wouter,

I don't use a MAC . . . or a Volkslogger, but I think what you have done is
just great! So in case nobody else says thanks - - THANKS!

bumper

Old April 7th 05, 07:17 PM
Wouter Wessels

Hi Bumper,

Thanks for saying THANKS!

Although you might be the only one responding in the news group, since I
posted there have been some hits on the website. Two people even
downloaded the application ...

While until now I had an average of 4 hits per day, there have been over
10 hits since I posted my message 3 hours ago! Which is great!

So ... plenty of response ... don't worry ;-)

Thanks for your your attention,
Wouter

Old April 7th 05, 07:28 PM
Bob Greenblatt

On 4/7/05 11:18 AM, in article
, "Wouter Wessels"
wrote:

Hi,

For years I have been frustrated that there was no way to read the
Volkslogger GPS logger with my Mac ...

So, being a Mac programmer, I wrote the software myself.

http://www.GeoPS.nl

It is now in Public Beta, so everybody can download it for free and try
it.
In the next couple of weeks it will be released ... for free:
No trial version
No fee
No Nothin'
Well ... maybe I will make a "Donate lotsa money because I like the
program so much" button on the site ;-)

I hope many people will use it, make great flights with their
Volkslogger and download the flights on their Mac ;-)

Cheers,
Wouter Wessels

Thanks. I'll try it.

--
Bob
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom --fix this before responding

Old April 8th 05, 01:02 AM
Shawn

Wouter Wessels wrote:
Hi,

For years I have been frustrated that there was no way to read the
Volkslogger GPS logger with my Mac ...

So, being a Mac programmer, I wrote the software myself.

http://www.GeoPS.nl

It is now in Public Beta, so everybody can download it for free and try
it.
In the next couple of weeks it will be released ... for free:
No trial version
No fee
No Nothin'
Well ... maybe I will make a "Donate lotsa money because I like the
program so much" button on the site ;-)

I hope many people will use it, make great flights with their
Volkslogger and download the flights on their Mac ;-)

Cool! I'm thinking of getting a Volkslogger, and my fourth Mac. :-)

Thanks,
Shawn
Old April 8th 05, 05:45 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Wouter Wessels wrote:
Hi,

For years I have been frustrated that there was no way to read the
Volkslogger GPS logger with my Mac ...

So, being a Mac programmer, I wrote the software myself.

http://www.GeoPS.nl

It is now in Public Beta, so everybody can download it for free and try
it.
In the next couple of weeks it will be released ... for free:
No trial version
No fee
No Nothin'
Well ... maybe I will make a "Donate lotsa money because I like the
program so much" button on the site ;-)

I hope many people will use it, make great flights with their
Volkslogger and download the flights on their Mac ;-)

Cheers,
Wouter Wessels

This means that you got the information about the downloading protocol
used by the Volkslogger. As a retired programmer, I would like to write
some downloading program for Unix systems, I did that for my Garmin 12,
as Garmin made their protocol public, but I have no info for the
Volkslogger. Where did you get that ?
Old April 8th 05, 07:32 PM
Wouter Wessels

In article ,
Robert Ehrlich wrote:

Wouter Wessels wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you'd wanna know wouldn't you ... ;-)

Before I started the GeoPS project, I did some searching and found a
project: kflog: http://www.kflog.de/

That project is an Open Source project that does contain Volkslogger
support. I found that the basic Volkslogger functions worked for me, but
this Volkslogger code is not very good. I have had some serious trouble
getting it to work on a Mac, but now it does.

I'd suggest you take a look at that kflog project. It looks like a very
solid application that has features that seem very useful, like Maps,
Terrain Elevation and Airspace support.
I even tried to port this app to Mac, because Mac OS X is a Unix too,
but I did not succeed (yet).

Wouter

Old April 8th 05, 07:44 PM
Wouter Wessels

In article ,
Shawn sdotcurry@bresnananotherdotnet wrote:

Wouter Wessels wrote:
Hi,

For years I have been frustrated that there was no way to read the
Volkslogger GPS logger with my Mac ...

So, being a Mac programmer, I wrote the software myself.

http://www.GeoPS.nl

It is now in Public Beta, so everybody can download it for free and try
it.
In the next couple of weeks it will be released ... for free:
No trial version
No fee
No Nothin'
Well ... maybe I will make a "Donate lotsa money because I like the
program so much" button on the site ;-)

I hope many people will use it, make great flights with their
Volkslogger and download the flights on their Mac ;-)

Cool! I'm thinking of getting a Volkslogger, and my fourth Mac. :-)

Hey, that is good news!
What kinda Mac are you looking for? Desktop or Laptop?

Both my Macs are getting of age, so I am saving money to get the first
G5 Powerbook I see ;-) probably somewhere in 2006 ;-(

Keep an eye on http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ to see which Mac is due
for an update soon ...

Regards,

Wouter

Old April 8th 05, 08:55 PM
Shawn

Wouter Wessels wrote:

[...]

Probably a new iMac. I lust for a full-on G5 (OK, maybe lust is a
strong word), but my current 400 MHz G3 iMac does most of what I need,
it's just a bit slow. Depending on the next G5 model features though, I
might be swayed...

Both my Macs are getting of age, so I am saving money to get the first
G5 Powerbook I see ;-) probably somewhere in 2006 ;-(

Keep an eye on http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ to see which Mac is due
for an update soon ...

I've seen the current crop of rumors, so I've been waiting.

Shawn
Old April 10th 05, 09:52 AM
Robert Ehrlich

Wouter Wessels wrote:
Yeah, you'd wanna know wouldn't you ... ;-)

Before I started the GeoPS project, I did some searching and found a
project: kflog: http://www.kflog.de/

That project is an Open Source project that does contain Volkslogger
support. I found that the basic Volkslogger functions worked for me, but
this Volkslogger code is not very good. I have had some serious trouble
getting it to work on a Mac, but now it does.

I'd suggest you take a look at that kflog project. It looks like a very
solid application that has features that seem very useful, like Maps,
Terrain Elevation and Airspace support.
I even tried to port this app to Mac, because Mac OS X is a Unix too,
but I did not succeed (yet).

Thanks for this answer. I was aware of kflog, but never used it since
up to a recent date I didn't have a sufficient recent computer for
running KDE. Anyway my ambition is much lower than a software like
kflog. I want just to have a program downloading the logger to an
IGC file, without graphical interface (much to complicate to program
for me) and possibly verifying that the turnpoints were correctly
rounded and computing the average speed per leg and general if
there is a declared task. This is what I did for my Garmin 12 using
the current route as a declared task.