Pre-buy after Annual

Old May 21st 05, 12:38 PM
Douglas Olson

Default Pre-buy after Annual

Newcomer to group and ownership here. Hope this isn't an FAQ, but Googling
the keywords brings up too many hits that don't address my question.

I'm looking at a fairly typical first plane to buy ... 1960s Cherokee ...
that appears to be just right. It has reasonable airframe time and low
engine time. It was annualled two months ago.

My specific question is ... Since the plane was just annualled, what should
I look for in my (free, amatuer) pre-buy and ask the mechanic too look for
in the professional inspection, that would indicate a "don't buy" decision,
even if the annual is fresh.

I'm thinking about things like interior wing corrosion that are airworthy
this year and probably next, but would make the plane a poor long-term
investment.

Is this the right question to ask? Experienced, non-monetarily motivated
answers appreciated.

Old May 21st 05, 12:49 PM
Dan Thompson

That is the right question to ask. What you are looking for are
deal-breakers, not routine maintenance items that have popped up in the two
months since the annual.

Corrosion, un-logged damage history, weak cylinders, cracked engine case,
inop accessories, nonconformance with the type certificate, missing logs,
are the types of deal-breakers that should be looked for in a pre-buy.

ink.net...

Old May 21st 05, 01:56 PM
dave

Doug,
Be careful about the overhaul. Low time is not always good. I looked
at one airplane that had only 600SMOH but the overhaul had been done 25
years earlier. Not only is that bad in terms of low annual usuage, it's
also way beyond Lycoming's recommendation of 12 years between overhauls.
Most sellers and brokers I spoke to refused to consider anything but
engine hours in terms of valuing the engine but calender time is
significant. There are many aircraft for sale that are within the
manufacturer's recommendations regarding hours but way beyond the 12
year recommendation. Have an experienced mechanic check the engine
thoroughly. Get an oil sample to a lab and the screen and/or filter
inspected. If possible, try to make sure the engine has at least 10 or
20 hours since the last oil change.

Dave
68 7ECA

Old May 21st 05, 02:16 PM
Doug

Your mechanic should give it a compression test, look for AD's, cut the
oil filter, sample the oil, look for corrosion. You should be able to
check the paint, upholstry, cleanliness, avionics and flight
characteristics.

As for old engines, even with low engine time, don't expect an old
engine (over 12 years) to make it to TBO. Frequently flown is MUCH
better. Frequently flown engines make it PAST TBO (frequent being over
100 hours a year, spread out through out the year).

Old May 21st 05, 03:38 PM
Mike Rapoport

Well, you could do anything from nothing to another annual. How well do you
trust the shop that did the annual? If the plane is for sale now then you
can be almost certain that the minimal amount of work was done at the
annual. As always you have to weigh the amount to spend on the inspection
against what will be found that the seller will be willing to repair.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 21st 05, 04:57 PM
Juan Jimenez

I disagree with what has been said here, except Mike. The pre-buy should be
another annual inspection, with great emphasis on known problems with the
model of aircraft you want to buy. If it was annualled two months ago with
the intention to buy, _assume_ that corners were cut. Remember, you _will_
be stuck with whatever you don't find in the pre-buy.

Old May 21st 05, 05:05 PM
Jack Allison

Hi Doug. Great question. I'm a new owner and went through a similar
experience. We bought an Arrow that had literally come out of annual a
couple of days before we showed up to take a look (and hopefully close
the deal and fly home...which we wound up doing). I poked around for
info. on the shop that had been doing the maintenance and received
positive reports (thanks again Blanche). We also asked tons of
questions to the owner and to the A&P that had been maintaining the
plane. We went through AOPA for the title search and copies of past
paperwork. Everything looked fine so we put down a deposit and headed
to Denver. I spend a couple hours with the A&P reviewing the logs and
asking more questions. I also had a chance to fly the plane as well.
Reviewing the logs, we just kept finding more information that the plane
had been well maintained. The A&P let me do whatever I wanted in terms
of poking around the plane.

The next day, one partner along with an instructor showed up. They had
a look at the plane and we closed the deal then flew home. So, our
pre-buy inspection was very limited. We could have (and many would say
"should have") had a different shop do some form of pre-buy inspection.
Given how the entire deal was progressing and our overall timeframe,
we opted not to take the plane to another shop. A definite risk but one
that we were comfortable with given all of the information we had.

Specifically on your situation, check into whether or not Piper service
bulletin 1006 has been performed. This is the one where they pull the
tanks and check for corrosion on the wing spar caps. Many Piper owners
advised me this is a "must have". If it has not been performed, I feel
it is worth spending the money to do as part of a pre-buy inspection.

Good luck with the purchase process. Be prepared to walk away if
something doesn't feel right. We had to walk away from two deals before
we found our Arrow. Not fun, time consuming, etc...but worth it in the end.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 21st 05, 05:30 PM
RST Engineering

Quite a few mechanics and quite a few shops tend to shy away from the
"pre-buy" inspection for one main reason. There are a gazillion items that
can be inspected to a fare-thee-well and wind up being unairworthy next
week. Then you come back to me and ask me why I didn't find this glaring
problem on the pre-buy and expect me to fix it for free.

Example -- on July 20th last year I did an annual on a 182. I found a
couple of minor things wrong, fixed them, and signed off the annual. Two
weeks later that aircraft split a cylinder in two in flight and had to make
a forced landing in a cow pasture. Now the question becomes -- how could I
have detected this fault by inspection? Perhaps if I had removed all the
cylinders and taken them down to be nondestructively tested (mag particle,
zyglo, etc.) we might have spotted that incipient crack. We might not have.
But that's not reality. Pulling the jugs on every annual (and removing the
wings to inspect for corrosion, taking out all the radios to run a bench
specifications test, and all that stuff) just isn't the real world.

I won't take a pre-buy job except for a good friend and even at that we have
to have the understanding that (s)he is going to be standing right at my
side during the entire process and watch everything that I look at. Six
months later when the veeblefeltzer snaps a rittit both (s)he and I looked
at the damned thing and agreed that it looked normal. That and I charge
double for a prebuy what I charge for an annual.

Jim

Old May 21st 05, 05:58 PM
Douglas Olson

Well, thank you for a mechanic's perspective on this.

Seeing as every piece of "how to buy a used airplane" literature recommends
a mechanic's pre-buy, what do consider a real-world way for the amatuer to
avoid the big money pits like wing spar problems?

Old May 21st 05, 06:57 PM
RST Engineering

Wing spars are fairly accessable and moderately easy to inspect thoroughly.
It is the stuff that you can't get inside to see without ripping the
airplane completely apart that generally rise up and bite you. How do you
detect that an oil pump gear has a hairline fracture and is about to
self-destruct without pulling the back end of the engine apart? How do you
tell that a bladder cell is about to start leaking from an invisible
internal split in the cell wall? The stuff you can see is generally not the
problem ... but in the case of an invisible crack in a cylinder wall it was.

The answer is that there is no good answer except for a record of preventive
maintenance.

Jim