First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

Old February 11th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

"chris" wrote:
Aircraft can be incredibly hard to see, believe it or not.....

In this case, perhaps it is possible that the tow-plane was in a blind spot
where the Rans S-7 pilot couldn't see him? If one assumes a plane on a
collision course appears to hold roughly a steady bearing, then the tow-
plane would have been visible to the Rans pilot several degrees below the
horizontal (the tow-plane appeared to be climbing as it passed in front,
left to right) and somewhere off to the right - the cowling or camera(!)
blocking the view of the other plane. And then there is all the ground
clutter the pilot in the higher plane has to process to see anything lower
that also happens to be nearly stationary with respect to the scenery.

So (and this is all speculation of course!) it seems to me the tow-plane
pilot might possibly have had the better view to "see and avoid" - since
there were no less than two planes above his altitude that he was heading
toward.
Old February 18th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Looked to me like the tow plane was evading. I'd agreee that the towplane
had a better view. Must have seen the Rans at the last second.

mike

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

Old February 10th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

I got the following link to this video via the Matronics Zenith e-mail
list. What's interesting and fascinating about it is that it contains video
from a cockpit camera that shows the impending mid-air collision and the
cockpit view when the aircraft hits the ground under the chute:

http://www.turbopilot.com/copa/image3/brs.wmv

I guess cockpit cameras are becoming common enough that this sort of video
would be inevitable.

I'm surprised that the pilot believes he is alive today because of the
parachute. The aircraft doesn't look severely damaged; the control surfaces
are in place. What would have prevented him from gliding to a landing?

Because it requires more skill than just typing CTRL-ALT-DELETE you.
Don't second guess real pilots.
Old February 10th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

Because it requires more skill than just typing CTRL-ALT-DELETE you.

How and why would he type Ctrl-Alt-Del? Why not just steer the aircraft to a
landing?

Don't second guess real pilots.

Or else what?

Old February 11th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ron Natalie writes:

Because it requires more skill than just typing CTRL-ALT-DELETE you.

How and why would he type Ctrl-Alt-Del? Why not just steer the aircraft
to a
landing?

He was talking about you, you idiot. If you get in trouble with
your computer game, all you have to do is cancel the game. Sheesh, what a
numbskull you are.

NOTICE!!!!
Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

Old February 11th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Casey Wilson writes:

He was talking about you, you idiot.

I'm not an idiot, so he could not have been talking about me.

If you get in trouble with your computer game, all you have to
do is cancel the game.

You don't do that with Ctrl-Alt-Del. On Windows XP, this key sequence calls
up the task manager, which is normally not used to stop applications or
processes.

Old February 18th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I also wondered why the plane wasn't flyable. Wings looked fine on the
ground. He didn't have a lot of time to make the decision at 1000 feet, so
he probably figured it's now or never. It would have taken some of that
precious time and altitude to determine the plane was flyable. With more
altitude, I'll bet he would have let it fly for a while and maybe have been
able to determine it was flyable, but down low, there's just no time for
that. Those chutes use up something like 700 or 800 vertical feet to fully
deploy, I believe.

mike

Old February 11th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:21:22 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

I got the following link to this video via the Matronics Zenith e-mail
list. What's interesting and fascinating about it is that it contains video
from a cockpit camera that shows the impending mid-air collision and the
cockpit view when the aircraft hits the ground under the chute:

http://www.turbopilot.com/copa/image3/brs.wmv

I guess cockpit cameras are becoming common enough that this sort of video
would be inevitable.

(Not sure why the pilot didn't see the towing aircraft - unless it was
because the other plane was coming up from below to his right.)

I don't know what it is about that site, but my firewalls and blockers
will not accept it. At least one of them has it on the blocked list.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 11th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Roger wrote:
I don't know what it is about that site, but my firewalls and blockers
will not accept it. At least one of them has it on the blocked list.

While checking BRS parachute descent rates, I discovered that BRS has
almost the same video on their web site (linked from their home page):

http://brsparachutes.com/Movies/CNN_OFF_AIR.wmv