FS: Eccentric Assembly Tools

Old December 8th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5

Default FS: Eccentric Assembly Tools

Do you have trouble getting your wings in place that last little bit to
insert the wing pins? Then this is the tool you need. Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers. Everything from wood to self-launchers. $80 in the US and $95 outside the US. Shipping included.
See www.z5mfg.com
Old December 11th 13, 06:35 AM
Eurofighter Eurofighter is offline
Junior Member

Very useful tool!
Old December 11th 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:17:16 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers.

I can see how this tool would be very useful, but with all this experience have you seen any elongation of the bushing in the spar? If I understand how this works, it applies a concentrated load where the smaller diameter of the tool contacts the larger diameter of the bushing. The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reamer
Old December 11th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer?

The tool is made of a metal which is much softer than the sintered bronze bushings used commonly in spar pin holes.
I have one and it helps some. I am still rather ****ed that I usually have to ask for some big guy with huge arms to put the pins in. There must be some secret to this step.

Old December 11th 13, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 11th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:07:46 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:17:16 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote:

Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers.

I can see how this tool would be very useful, but with all this experience have you seen any elongation of the bushing in the spar? If I understand how this works, it applies a concentrated load where the smaller diameter of the tool contacts the larger diameter of the bushing. The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reamer

The one I use is machined out of a hard plastic - I think nylon. Works great.

9B
Old December 11th 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
The tool is made of a metal

Say WHAT ? 4 different vendors I know all use plastic.

I usually have to ask for some big guy with huge arms to put
the pins in. There must be some secret to this step.

It's very, very technical:
Line up the wings prior trying to insert the pins.
Look inside the holes and make sure they are lined up !
Adjust by height of fuselage and/or wings.
BEFORE trying to jam in the pins.

These tools are only useful if the wings are close
to properly aligned, and especially to pull the wings
together the last little bit.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Use of incorrect grease (or none, or dirt) will
also make inserting the pins extremely hard...

Old December 11th 13, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:27:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:

The tool is made of a metal?

Say WHAT ? 4 different vendors I know all use plastic.

So the plastic deforms to the shape of the bushing and spreads out the load.
Old December 12th 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5

In a past thread about these tools I remember someone saying they had a metal tool. The tools I make are made of Delrin plastic.
From McMaster-Carr:
Wear- and Water-Resistant
Delrin® Acetal Resin

Considered the workhorse of plastics, Delrin® acetal resin combines moisture resistance and a slippery, wear-resistant surface with an ability to hold tight tolerances. Often used for gears, bushings, impellers, and other parts that require its strength and rigidity.
I have used one of these tools in well over 250 assemblies of my DG-200 with no sign of wear in the bushings.
Steve Z5
http://www.z5mfg.com/