Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old October 17th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 6:03:20 AM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:55:27 PM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the Parowan motorglider
event I've been going to for over 10 years. We discuss the flights, rarely the motors. Ditto
for when I fly at Ely following the Parowan event.

I remember arriving at Parowan for a contest immediately after the motorglider meet there and found a bunch of them on the apron working on engines. I distinctly remember someone welding a silencer together and another rebuilding a carburetor. Eric probably missed this because he was busy flying!

Mike

7 years flying ASH motor gliders and never had any breakdown!
Old October 17th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 3:03:20 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:55:27 PM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Maybe it says something about Namibia flying, but it says nothing about the Parowan motorglider
event I've been going to for over 10 years. We discuss the flights, rarely the motors. Ditto
for when I fly at Ely following the Parowan event.

I remember arriving at Parowan for a contest immediately after the motorglider meet there and found a bunch of them on the apron working on engines. I distinctly remember someone welding a silencer together and another rebuilding a carburetor. Eric probably missed this because he was busy flying!

Mike

I am curious about what year that was. I have only missed one year at Parowan in over a decade and can't recall what you are talking about. There have been plenty of times, however, when I was prepared to fly my glider and the towplane wasn't, either because of mechanical, regulatory of tow pilot issues. I also have gone to airports where there was no towplane whatsoever.

Tom
Old October 17th 20, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Keep checking the fan belt - which is not very accessible (or simple to tension or replace). The ASH rotary is vulnerable to potentially serious and very expensive internal damage if the fan belt fails or falls off. In that case internal rotor air cooling stops, the engine rapidly overheats and also the rotor lubrication is compromised. The only in-flight indication is the rotor air temperature reading or alarm. I got it shut down quickly enough so that, although Schleicher said there would definitely be internal damage estimated at up to 20,000 euros + tax, I actually got lucky.

There are DIY monitoring solutions on the ASH26e support group.
Old October 17th 20, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rakel

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 7:43:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Just curious: what is 'current on aerotow'? Last time I had a long layoff from gliding (2 years due to business) I found no difficulty in aerotowing.

I had a 30 year layoff from gliding because of family and work obligations.

It took me several flights to relearn how to fly a glider on tow. I was up front with my instructors and they just treated me like a new student. I also spent a lot of time reading the latest instruction manuals, especially the new airspace regulations.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 12:17 PM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 01:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 05:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM