Another expensive annual this year

Old January 22nd 05, 05:01 PM
Fly

Hi Jay...
Our chapter BOUGHT NEW DIGITAL SCALES last year
and spent 1200 bucks or so on them. 4 pad unit for
race cars, nice stuff. I can't believe the prices folks get to do this.

Scott.

Yikes! $500 is too much. I'd charge $150-$200 plus travel.

And for the EAA guys and Scott above.......
..... well thats great that they BOUGHT NEW DIGITAL SCALES.
I imagine those are the little wheel weighers about 12 inches square and
have a capacity of maybe 1000-1500 pounds. Thats ok for light homebuilts
and ultralights, C152 and Pa140 and such. Fine for you Saturday morning
hobbiests.

But if you consider providing a professional weighing service, you need a
capacity up to 30,000 lbs for each Pad and/or each jackpoint to be capable
of weighing most aircraft used in business.

Shop around for four 30K lb pads and let us know the deals you find.

You also need an annual certified calibration which will cost $300-$400.
Also you might want the capability to generate a nice looking weighing
report on site, and the way I do that is with a laptop and portable printer.
A hand scribbled sheet doesn't look good in a G-IV manual.
There are some other extras that are handy to have, like a set of fuel
hydormeters to measure specific gravity of onboard fuel.
Nitrogen setup to re-adjust gear struts after leveling....... so on.

Btw, someday try rolling a big tire aircraft like a T-6 or T28 up on those
NEW DIGITAL SCALES.

I can certainly believe the prices some folks get to do this!

Kent Felkins
Tulsa Oklahoma

Old January 22nd 05, 11:32 PM
Jon A.

Hey Kent, I just painted my prop and may need to come up to see you.
I'll let you know.

BTW, Kent is one of the best prop balance guys in this neck of the
woods. He's also a paid Tulsa fireman, IIRC.

Old January 23rd 05, 05:38 AM
Mike Rapoport

Mid-Continent has a new one that is supposed to be pretty good. I don't
have any plan to actually do this but getting rid of the whole vacuum system
is pretty appealing when it is only running one instrument.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike,
My google search of electric AI showed reliability problem with
'affordable' units such as what stated by Paul Bertorelli below:
===================================
I have on my answering machine here a message from a reader who bought
five
R.C. Allen electric AIs for a fleet of training/charter aircraft.

Four failed within 100 hours of use. Numerous other reports of
premature
failure, too.

That's not to say no one gets good service from these. But they seem
problematical.

No reported problems with the AIM units from BFG. They're twice as
expensive, however.

Paul Bertorelli
Aviation Consumer

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b?dmode=source

Old January 23rd 05, 09:56 AM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
Mid-Continent has a new one that is supposed to be pretty good. I don't
have any plan to actually do this but getting rid of the whole vacuum

system
is pretty appealing when it is only running one instrument.

Mike
MU-2

What is the ratio of vacuum system failures to total electrical failures?

Anybody?

Can a completely separate and independent electrical bus be installed?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 23rd 05, 01:38 PM
Fly

This if for the Jon that knows me. I deleted the message to quick.
Thanks for the ref.
Paint shouldn't make that much of diference in prop balance. It if it
does....you should give up painting as a profession.

Contact me direct and I'll be happy to check it for you.
Kent Felkins

Old January 24th 05, 02:41 PM

Mike Rapoport wrote:
Mid-Continent has a new one that is supposed to be pretty good. I

Mike,
I checked the price ant it costs close to $4K!! I was hoping to get
some recent data showing
improvement in the RC Allen electric AI reliability.
Hai

Old January 27th 05, 04:41 PM

Mike,

It appears that this is the price without the emergency power suppy
(Optional self-contained battery backup)

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=5870

If I could find reliable electric AI at the price range comparable
with the wetpump option, I would certainly consider it. I have done
quite a bit of reading and have gone back and forth on the choice. At
the current moment, we are still leaning on going with the reliable and
long-lasting wet pump instead of replacing the dry pump and adding a
Precise Flight backup system. We may add a backup option later on in
the form of portable EFIS. So far, I have seen two options

1) PCflightsystem: http://www.pcflightsystems.com/ (Michell P
purchased the unit last year and seemed quite happy with her choice)
and
2) Control Vision Anywhere AI:
http://www.anywheremap.com/pages/Section_AI.aspx

I really envy owners of experimental aircrafts who can obtain the
best technology aviation gadgets much earlier and cheaper than what
available for certified aircrafts such as the stuffs provided by Dynon
avionics and Blue Mountain Avionics
http://www.dynonavionics.com/

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/

Old January 30th 05, 02:17 AM
Mike Rapoport

I agree that there aren't really any attractive choices. I don't think that
it will be long before solid state gyros are cheaper than the iron gyro junk
now on the market. Solid state is much cheaper to make.

Mike
MU-2

Old January 30th 05, 07:46 AM
nuke

I agree that there aren't really any attractive choices. I don't think that

it will be long before solid state gyros are cheaper than the iron gyro junk
now on the market. Solid state is much cheaper to make.

Mike
MU-2 BRBR

True, but lawyers make anything new and cheaper to make a LOT more expensive to
certify and buy.

--
Dr. Nuketopia
Sorry, no e-Mail.

Christmas Annual - long drivel Denny Owning 23 December 31st 04 08:52 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
another year, another annual Doug Vetter Owning 4 November 22nd 03 11:40 AM
'Good' Annual This Year Ben Smith Owning 38 July 26th 03 05:44 AM