best glide speed of a warrior

Old December 12th 04, 07:24 PM
d&tm

Default best glide speed of a warrior

the best glide speed of a warrior is quoted as 73 kts. but best glide should
be at best lift /drag ratio which I recall is at about 4 degree angle of
attack. But this must be a function of weight. So my questions are what
weight is the 73 kts based on ? and how much does this best speed change say
between maximum weight and minimum wight , or lets just say an 80 kg ( 176
pounds for the folks up over ) pilot flying solo with half fuel? Why ? I
am just curious, I like practicising my forced landings ( solo) and just
wondered how much extra time /distance i might get by flying at a more
"correct" speed. My flying school actually rounds it off to 75kts,
regardless of weight.
Terry

Old December 12th 04, 09:39 PM
john smith

73 kts is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG.

Vs(actual)=[sqrt(actual wt/gross wt)]*Vso(gross)

Old December 12th 04, 10:43 PM
Hilton

john smith wrote:
73 kts is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG.

Vs(actual)=[sqrt(actual wt/gross wt)]*Vso(gross)

Vbg is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG? Where did you get that
from???

Hilton

Old December 12th 04, 11:27 PM
Jay Somerset

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:43:48 GMT, "Hilton" wrote:

john smith wrote:
73 kts is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG.

Vs(actual)=[sqrt(actual wt/gross wt)]*Vso(gross)

Vbg is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG? Where did you get that
from???

It was either a brain fart, or a typo. :-)

Hilton

Old December 13th 04, 08:02 PM
john smith

Yup, brian fart.
The equation is the same, just change the Vso to Vglide and the best
speed at reduced weight will be correct.

Old December 13th 04, 05:27 AM
Blanche

According to the ASA "generic" Warrior Pilot's Guide, the Warrior II
(not the Cadet version) has the following airspeed limitations:

Vne 160 kts
Vno 126 kts
Va 111 kts at 2240 pounds
Va 88 kts at 1531 pounds
Stall 50 kts (clean)
Stall 44 kts (full flaps)

And remember, as per Kershner, stall & glide speed are dependent
on weight.

OBTW - same numbers for the Cadet (I just turned the page)

Old December 13th 04, 07:32 PM
d&tm

"john smith" wrote in message
73 kts is the stall speed at max gross and aft CG.

Vs(actual)=[sqrt(actual wt/gross wt)]*Vso(gross)

I am not talking about stall speed but it makes sense to me that the
calculation should be the same for the change in glide speed,

so if my best glide speed is 73kts at gross wt (1055 kg), then with just me
and half fuel at about 850 kg
this would give a speed of 66kts, which is a significant difference (
especially from the 75 the flying school suggests)

now that i think about it your equation makes sense. lift required should
be proportional to weight. but lift generated by the wing is proportional to
v^2. So for the same angle of attack it makes sense that the speed should
be a factor of
sqrt ( actual wt/gross wt). in the stall example you are just talking about
a different angle of attack ( 16 degrees) instead of the best glide angle of
attack (4 degrees)

thanks for the help John.

Terry

Old December 13th 04, 09:40 PM
Robert M. Gary

I usually have my student's fly final at 60. I would think we'd have
noticed if stall speed were 73.

Old December 13th 04, 09:41 PM
Robert M. Gary

BTW: There is a formula to get Vy, Vx, and Vso (and probably best
glide) for each weight. I don't have it in front of me right now. That
formula is on the Flight Engineer FAA written exam.

-Robert, CFI

Best Glide Speed john smith Piloting 5 September 4th 04 10:04 AM
Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Instrument Flight Rules 70 January 11th 04 08:35 PM
Angle of climb at Vx and glide angle when "overweight": five questions Koopas Ly Piloting 16 November 29th 03 10:01 PM