Oil on the windshield. What would you do?

Old January 29th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Oil on the windshield. What would you do?

Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Jan 27, 8:28 am, "Tony Cox" wrote:

I'd assume symptoms were caused by some prop seal
failure. I'd go to fine pitch (to minimize further oil
loss) & then reduce RPM to where I could still maintain
altitude (to further minimize oil loss, and to minimize
structural damage if the prop were about to disintegrate)
while heading for the nearest airport.

I'd probably avoid touching anything and head towards the airport.
Could a prop seal really leak enough oil to make drops appear on the
windscreen? Usually prop seal leaks show up as moisture under the
prop.

-Robert, CFII

We used to have an old diaphragm prop. I invited my teaching attendant
to go flying with us (in his younger years he flew P-51's and then flew
for Phillipine air). About halfway home the diaphragm started to go and
I mentioned it to Ron in the backseat as a way to make sure Jim (flying
in the right seat) didn't get concerned. It took him about 10 seconds
to transition to the instruments (it threw a bunch of oil on the right
side, but the left was ok).

Margy
Old January 30th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:31:51 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:
I've heard a statistic tossed around at Wings seminars stating that
most engine failures occur during a change or adjustment. Guest
engine experts seem to always agree not to touch anything if it's
still running and high confidence of the exact problem isn't
available.

Which would seem to indicate that if you can consistantly fly with
just two engine settings (full power and idle) you are less likely to
get unwelcome engine related surprises... grin
Old January 30th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

On Jan 28, 6:59 pm, "Ash Wyllie" wrote:
Doug opined

You do realize that the govenor changes blade angle when you change
power settings don't you?

Yes, but if the prop is in in fine pitch, it can't get any finer.

The above is incorrect on a constant speed prop, if what you mean is
the prop knob is all the way in ('fine"). There is really no way of
knowing exactly how fine the prop is currently running, but just
because you push the prop knob all the way in does NOT mean the prop
is all the way to the fine stops!!! It COULD be, but not necesarily.

If you push the prop knob in, he govenor makes the pitch as fine as
necesarry to get redline rpm, or until it hits the stops, whichever
comes first.

It is a mistaken belief that just because the prop knob is all the way
in, on a constant speed prop, that you are all the way to the stops.
Not true.

Old January 30th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

wrote:
I've heard a statistic tossed around at Wings seminars stating that
most engine failures occur during a change or adjustment. Guest
engine experts seem to always agree not to touch anything if it's
still running and high confidence of the exact problem isn't
available.

Which would seem to indicate that if you can consistantly fly with
just two engine settings (full power and idle) you are less likely to
get unwelcome engine related surprises... grin

Like the WW1 guys? G
Old February 4th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

I've heard the same thing Barry.. don't know where the stats are found
BT

No supporting stats. Lycoming has researched it and it's a myth.
You can find the info in their tech briefs on their website.

I heard it "around the airport" c1980. If there are stats, they are old.

About all I can add is that one of the locals had the engine drop to idle at
the first power reduction--probably at the crosswind turn--the clevis
connecting the throttle to the carburetor came loose. IIRC, he made a
successfull landing on the airport.

Old February 5th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 03:07:27 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

I've heard the same thing Barry.. don't know where the stats are found
BT

No supporting stats. Lycoming has researched it and it's a myth.
You can find the info in their tech briefs on their website.

I heard it "around the airport" c1980. If there are stats, they are old.

About all I can add is that one of the locals had the engine drop to idle at
the first power reduction--probably at the crosswind turn--the clevis

You sure it wasn't the "Deadly downwind turn?".

connecting the throttle to the carburetor came loose. IIRC, he made a
successfull landing on the airport.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 5th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 27 Jan 2007 08:28:13 -0800, "Tony Cox" wrote:

Here's a question that anyone with a single
engine, constant speed prop might have to
deal with sometime.

You're cruising along happily when suddenly
oil drops start appearing on the windshield. There
is no "bang" or anything else to indicate catastrophic
failure. The nearest airport is out of gliding range.
What do you do?

I'd assume symptoms were caused by some prop seal
failure. I'd go to fine pitch (to minimize further oil
loss) & then reduce RPM to where I could still maintain
altitude (to further minimize oil loss, and to minimize
structural damage if the prop were about to disintegrate)
while heading for the nearest airport.

Can anyone think of a better response?

Clean the windshield?

I had one that did that. landed, cleaned, wiped prop down, went
around the pattern, no more problem.

I know it was the seals as you could see the streaks down the blades.
Apparently they just didn't seat. That was something like three years
ago and no problem since. OTOH I haven't flown in 6 weeks due to the
weather so I'll have to pay close attention next time out. Bout time
for a couple hours of just practice.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

OOPS! Got contact cement on the windshield Mike Rapoport Owning 12 November 13th 04 11:13 PM
Windshield Antenna Kits Scrabo Piloting 2 July 12th 04 04:58 PM
windshield wipers tony roberts Owning 8 June 1st 04 02:45 AM
Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield! Peter R. Owning 7 April 28th 04 07:58 AM
Windshield sealant Mike Noel Owning 10 October 2nd 03 01:04 AM