Letters Asking to Buy My Glider

Old November 27th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Letters Asking to Buy My Glider

I have received several letters over the last year from people
interested in purchasing my glider. I was wondering if this is common
or rare? I'd like to think it rare and that I own a highly desireable
and marketable glider.

I also wonder if it is some type of scam. The letter's content and
other small detals makes them seem like genuine enquiries.

I always reply back to the author with a nicely worded, "Thanks but no
thanks. I'll contact you if I change my mind." Often I get back a
response which clearly is from a glider pilot.

What is your experience?

John "67R"

Old November 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

with your address available on the FAA's site, its not that hard to
conceive as possible. I have done the same looking for other Cherokee
II owners, in my case looking for a set of plans. I didnt go so far as
to send letters, but cross referenced names with the SSAs member list
with emails and harassed people that way.

Old November 27th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

please see the warning on my want-ads page: http://www.wingsandwheels.com/wantads1.htm
Warning !
If you receive an email similar to this example it is a scam!
"Hello,I Am interested in buying your advertised ads for sale {JANTAR GFK SAILPLANE} that been posted on the ad 2004 i am a seller that buy items and resell so want to buy your JANTAR SAILPLANE. I will like to know the actual price you want to offer it for sale and the present condition and the pics of it.and mode of my payment will be a cheque drawn from an UK bank. Note that the shipping will be handle by my shipper that will come to you house for that pickup,if this is okay by you i want you to get back to me with your full name, your full contact address and your full phone number. best regards Smith."

this is one of the common scams, though there are many others to be aware of......base line is, if it sounds too good or simple to be true.....it likely is!
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old November 27th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

ContestID67 wrote:
I have received several letters over the last year from people
interested in purchasing my glider. I was wondering if this is common
or rare? I'd like to think it rare and that I own a highly desireable
and marketable glider.

I've sent such a letter a few times myself. I've had interest in
purchasing particular types of classic gliders, and by searching the FAA
database, came up with a few in the area that likely haven't been flown
in years. If no other method of contact is available, I'll send a nice
letter to the address listed in the FAA database. Sometimes, I even get
a response...

Marc
Old November 27th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"ContestID67" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have received several letters over the last year from people
interested in purchasing my glider. I was wondering if this is common
or rare? I'd like to think it rare and that I own a highly desireable
and marketable glider.

I also wonder if it is some type of scam. The letter's content and
other small detals makes them seem like genuine enquiries.

I always reply back to the author with a nicely worded, "Thanks but no
thanks. I'll contact you if I change my mind." Often I get back a
response which clearly is from a glider pilot.

What is your experience?

John "67R"

John,

About 12 years ago I was ready to purchase my first sailplane. Being new to
the sport the local group of pilots recommended that I purchase a Ka-6. A
mass mailing was sent to all owners west of the Appalachian Mountains. As a
result I found a nice Ka-6E at a reasonable price located in Kentucky.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/photogallery/valley/Ka-6E.jpg --
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller...with_Ka-6E.jpg)

It was November the Bronco II was readied for the trip and off I went. The
trip to East was a non-event; however, returning home was a different story.
First off, the trailer didn't track well and the Bronco II's short wheel
base didn't help the situation.. Then came a massive row of thunder storms
complete with tornados. Once west of the Mississippi River all was well
until I reached Wyoming. The first winter snow storm hit closing I-80.
Luck was with me, I was able to find a motel room for the night. The next
day about noon I-80 was open (chains required.); however, a high wind
warning still in effect. I chained all four wheels of the Bronco II and
headed west.

The wind wasn't bad as I left Laramie; however, it got stronger, and
stronger as I approached Elk Mountain. As the winds increased it was
necessary to drive with the right wheels on the unplowed shoulder in order
to maintain control of the trailer. I took my time and threaded my way
around and between several overturned "18 wheelers." About 20 miles west of
the summit the winds settled down. The chains were removed at Rawlins and
the rest of the trip to Nampa was uneventful.

Back to the subject line -- For a person looking for a specific make and
model, a mass mailing from the FAA database is worth the effort. If your
enquiries contain specific questions relating to your sailplane, I would
consider them genuine. However, the advice Tim offers on the Wings and
Wheels website should be taken seriously.
(http://www.wingsandwheels.com:80/wantads1.htm)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old November 27th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

ContestID67 wrote:
I have received several letters over the last year from people
interested in purchasing my glider. I was wondering if this is common
or rare? I'd like to think it rare and that I own a highly desireable
and marketable glider.

I also wonder if it is some type of scam. The letter's content and
other small detals makes them seem like genuine enquiries.

I always reply back to the author with a nicely worded, "Thanks but no
thanks. I'll contact you if I change my mind." Often I get back a
response which clearly is from a glider pilot.

What is your experience?

John "67R"

Begs the question... what model sailplane do you own?
Old November 28th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I wonder aloud if this has to do with the desireability (I'd like to
think) of my sailplane, a DG-101G ELAN. Obviously the ship is not the
high point of aerodynamics but there are four distinct reasons why I
think the above;

1) When I bought the ship it was a race with two other pilots to buy
the same ship. I happened to be quickest on the trigger with a phone
call. Luckily I had a friend point it out to me.

2) Repeated ads in Soaring for "DG owners we have buyers for your
ship". I don't see that with other makes and models.

3) I don't see them for sale in Soaring, Mara's, etc.

4) I keep getting mail from interested buyers (and they are better
worded than Mara's scam emails).

Of course it could be rarity as there are just 14 DG-100s (all types)
in the FAA registry of which only 9 are DG100G (same as DG101G). Just
my $0.02.

- John

Old November 28th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

ContestID67 wrote:
I wonder aloud if this has to do with the desireability (I'd like to
think) of my sailplane, a DG-101G ELAN. Obviously the ship is not the
high point of aerodynamics but there are four distinct reasons why I
think the above;

1) When I bought the ship it was a race with two other pilots to buy
the same ship. I happened to be quickest on the trigger with a phone
call. Luckily I had a friend point it out to me.

2) Repeated ads in Soaring for "DG owners we have buyers for your
ship". I don't see that with other makes and models.

3) I don't see them for sale in Soaring, Mara's, etc.

4) I keep getting mail from interested buyers (and they are better
worded than Mara's scam emails).

As a former DG-101G owner, I can tell you that quite a few people know
that they are one of the best buys in glass gliders in the US $20K to
$30K range, if you can find one. And, I'll also say that, properly
sealed (mine had sealed pushrods, S-seals on the ailerons, and even
routed channels for the mylar), I used to be able to pretty consistently
outclimb and outrun any LS-4, Pegase, or ASW-19 I came across 8^)

Marc
Old November 28th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello John,
No, I do not believe that what you are getting to be a SCAM.
If you have to wait for a particular sailplane type to become
available, it might take a while and someone else could beat
you to it.
I purchased a 304CZ last year from writting a letter and a
member in our club wrote a letter to everyone in the US who
had a LS8-18 and got 2 replies. He now owns a LS8-18.
I just suggested to another club member to decide on what
sailplanes he really wants to purchase and to write a letter to
the owners and see if they are interested in selling their glider.

Sometimes you just have to get the ball rolling to get someone
to sell their glider.

Randy

N304RS

Old November 28th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Gary Emerson wrote:

Begs the question... what model sailplane do you own?

GLASER-DIRKS FLUGZEUGBAU
DG-100G

Glider Numbers and letters Ron Gleason Soaring 2 August 1st 06 05:23 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM