Temporary waypoints in Garmin 430/530

Old October 27th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alpha Propellerhead

Default Temporary waypoints in Garmin 430/530

On Oct 26, 5:24*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Alpha Propellerhead writes:
No it doesn't. Close, but a real Garmin 430 is easier to set up.

Sounds like you're not using the real simulator, but just the built-in MSFS
simulation.

The real simulator was written by Garmin. As far as I can tell (since I have
the real manual) the simulated 430 and 530 work exactly like the real-world
manual describes, or at least I haven't found discrepancies between the manual
and the simulated 430/530. I asked about temporary waypoints because it's not
documented very well in the manual.

I'm not sure about FSX.

Nothing changes for FSX. It's the same simulator (if you are using Garmin's
simulator).

For reference, I'm using FS2004 and I teach on a
Frasca Tru-Flite with a Garmin 430, a Garmin 430 training system and a
C-172 with a G430. The flightsim Garmin is the most cumbersome to
program and some of the features don't work quite as well.

If you are still using the built-in GPS, I agree. I haven't looked at that in
years.

Head on over to Reality XP and get one that actually behaves like the genuine
article.

USEFUL! Very nice.

I'm evaluating IP Trainer right now.

Old October 27th 10, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Alpha Propellerhead writes:

USEFUL! Very nice.

All of the gauges that Reality XP makes are very, very nice. They are
fanatical about making sure that their simulated gauges work exactly like the
real things. They look nicer, too (absolutely smooth, realistic movements).

I'm evaluating IP Trainer right now.

What is IP trainer?
Old October 28th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

In article
,
Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

On Oct 26, 5:41*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

He might be banking 20 degrees, approaching
the yellow arc and losing 300 fpm or climbing up to 1000' AGL pattern
altitude after a cross country, but, dammit, he stayed RIGHT ON that
pink line.

Yikes. I hope you got him straightened out. Assuming you did, how did he
react to the idea that this behavior might not be entirely desirable?

Politely. That's always nice. I'm pretty sure he's aware of it now. He
just needed somebody to grind down the rust and identify weaknesses
without helping him. He never flies alone; always has another pilot
with him anywhere he goes and doesn't take passengers, so, he won't
get in too much trouble.

Excellent. I'm always impressed at how well pilots take criticism and
correction. I guess the possibility that you might die if you ignore it
helps.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 28th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alpha Propellerhead

On Oct 27, 8:41*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

Excellent. I'm always impressed at how well pilots take criticism and correction. I guess the possibility that you might ?die if you ignore it helps.

Mostly. People who can't take criticism and correction probably never
make it to their checkride because nobody will fly with them.

For example, I declined a 10-hour student who just bought his airplane
because he told another instructor "Look, I understand you're still
wet behind the ears but I just need somebody to sign me off to solo so
I can fly my plane when I want." That came out when his previous
instructor had gotten him past the pre-solo written, but when the new
instructor said that by law--which is true--the CFI who signs him off
to solo has to be the one that administers the pre-solo written, the
guy made a scene in the middle of the FBO lobby.

They went flying to a remote field to practice landings and when the
guy almost stalled it with a wing low on short final without making
any of the corrections the CFI was calling for, the instructor said
"My plane." The student blew up and told the CFI to keep his f-ing
hands off of the controls. That was the last straw; the instructor
borrowed a POH from the fleet just to go flying because the student
didn't have one in the plane and refused to go home and get it.

I'd have terminated the flight immediately, found a ride back to the
office and told the guy that he needs to find another CFI before he
can operate his airplane. Nobody will fly with him now because word
gets around faster than his little Piper does.

That kind of behavior is -extremely- rare, but, I do believe at some
point he's going to throw the rules off entirely and kill himself.
Old October 29th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

In article
,
Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

On Oct 27, 8:41*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

Excellent. I'm always impressed at how well pilots take criticism and
correction. I guess the possibility that you might ?die if you ignore it
helps.

Mostly. People who can't take criticism and correction probably never
make it to their checkride because nobody will fly with them.

Good point, I imagine that filters out most of them. There's still the
possibility of someone changing into a jerk later, but the fear of death
ought to help with that.

[...]

Wow, what an interesting story. Thanks for sharing that. I agree with
your assessment at the end. I bet that at some point he will decide that
the whole establishment is useless, since they keep screwing with an
obviously excellent pilot such as himself, and just decide to go flying
without bothering with certification first. Hope he doesn't kill anyone
else when he finally does it....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth