Welding on your head

Old June 8th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Welding on your head

I've gotten pretty good with my OA welds; I spent the last three
months practicing a splice by inner sleeve and am pleased that after
much practice I can melt the three components together and get good
penetration. On the bench.

However, when I tried welding on the fuselage, it's an entirely
diffferent situation. Just like they don't tell you that 95% of the
effort is jigging things into position, they don't tell you the other
95% is positioning the work so that you can work comfortably.

On the bench, everything is timed and measured and meticulous; if I'm
welding from the side, things get tense.

Am I correct that this is going to turn into weld-a-little,t urn the
work .weld-a-little, turn the work?

Can someone share any hints on how to support your forearm? - Mike

Old June 8th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I've gotten pretty good with my OA welds; I spent the last three
months practicing a splice by inner sleeve and am pleased that after
much practice I can melt the three components together and get good
penetration. On the bench.

However, when I tried welding on the fuselage, it's an entirely
diffferent situation. Just like they don't tell you that 95% of the
effort is jigging things into position, they don't tell you the other
95% is positioning the work so that you can work comfortably.

On the bench, everything is timed and measured and meticulous; if I'm
welding from the side, things get tense.

Am I correct that this is going to turn into weld-a-little,t urn the
work .weld-a-little, turn the work?

Can someone share any hints on how to support your forearm? - Mike

Now THERE'S an on-topic post, if I ever saw one!

:-)

Brian W
Old June 8th 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"brian whatcott" wrote

Now THERE'S an on-topic post, if I ever saw one!

Yep'er!

How about the advice to put the fuselage on a rotating gig?

Sometimes you have to build a gig to build a gig!

Lacking that, start at the bottom of the weld, and work your way up, and
stop to cool the work every little bit. I mean little bit, too. Sometimes
that will help your filler from not running down and pooling at a low spot.
Sometimes it takes cooling an area with wet rags.

As far as supporting your forearms, don't-just get them in better fudging
shape ! ! ! g
--
Jim in NC

Old June 8th 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Sorry for the triple stutter, all.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 8th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:56:15 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"brian whatcott" wrote

Now THERE'S an on-topic post, if I ever saw one!

Yep'er!

How about the advice to put the fuselage on a rotating gig?

Sometimes you have to build a gig to build a gig!

Lacking that, start at the bottom of the weld, and work your way up, and
stop to cool the work every little bit. I mean little bit, too. Sometimes
that will help your filler from not running down and pooling at a low spot.
Sometimes it takes cooling an area with wet rags.

As far as supporting your forearms, don't-just get them in better fudging
shape ! ! ! g

forearm exercises.
more beer drinking?
Old June 9th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Michael Horowitz wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:56:15 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"brian whatcott" wrote

Now THERE'S an on-topic post, if I ever saw one!

Yep'er!

How about the advice to put the fuselage on a rotating gig?

Sometimes you have to build a gig to build a gig!

Lacking that, start at the bottom of the weld, and work your way up, and
stop to cool the work every little bit. I mean little bit, too. Sometimes
that will help your filler from not running down and pooling at a low spot.
Sometimes it takes cooling an area with wet rags.

As far as supporting your forearms, don't-just get them in better fudging
shape ! ! ! g

forearm exercises.
more beer drinking?

12 ounce curls.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old June 9th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Oliver Arend

* *12 ounce curls.

12 oz?

How about: