Weight of Ice

Old November 15th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Weight of Ice

Bob Gardner wrote:
Maybe I'm not old enough either. I can't remember weight as ever having been
a consideration. Those leading edge profiles showing clear, rime, and mixed
have been around since the early 60s to my personal knowledge.

HOWEVER, I have a book from the 1920s that talks about "ice barnacles."

Bob

I wondered if perhaps some of the ultra low wing loading of the older
planes (like the J-3) didn't have nearly the aerodynamic effect as a
result of ice as a higher loading wing today does. Essentially, perhaps
today we have a lack of excess lift available?
In my younger days, I flew the J-3 after only doing a 1/2 ass job of
defrosting it. I never noticed any problems. Just thinking out loud.

-Robert

Old November 15th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Other problems with the weight of ice that accumulates on
the ground and is not completely removed... I was shown
pictures of a CE 210 [old, strut braced] which crashed near
Tulsa about 30 years ago. It seems that all the ice was
removed except for some small amounts on the ailerons. When
the plane go to cruise speed flutter began and it wrenched
both out wing panels into scrap metal.

ps.com...

Old November 15th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
The21stCenturyPatriot

gwengler wrote:
I roughly calculated that the weight of 1 in. of ice on all forward
surfaces on my T182 (fixed gear) is about 250 lbs. Anyone cares to
comment on this?
Gerd (ATPL)

Get rid of that fat ass mother-in-law in the back seat and
you can compensate for icing it looks like
Old November 29th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
PilotWeb.org

More than just the weight is involved. Remember, ice can kill you four
ways:

1. Ice DECREASES LIFT by changing shape of airfoil
2. Ice DECREASES THRUST by accumulating on your props or turbine
inlets
3. Ice INCREASES WEIGHT, for obvious reasons.
4. Ice INCREASES DRAG, parasitic.

Bad, bad, bad, and bad.

Stay out of it, and if you get in, get out while you still have
controllability and climb capability.

But of course, you knew that

Visit our website for more information, aviation news, job listings,
pilot profiles and resumes.

http://www.pilotweb.org/

Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight Mxsmanic Piloting 121 September 11th 06 11:13 PM
Differences between automotive & airplane engines Chris Wells Home Built 105 February 18th 06 11:00 PM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM