Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Old February 16th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

On 2/16/2019 9:50 AM, Clay wrote:
What is your tow vehicle? You will need to wire in a trailer brake
controller, easier to do on some vehicles than others.

Howziss for covering all the bases?

"What Herb K., Richard P., and Clay said!" *and* consider - if your rig is
"nice-n-light" and your "geographical situation/traffic warrants"... simply
going the (easy-peasy) Torflex route while leaving the rig brakeless. (Gasp!)

Been there/done that on a 15-meter glass ship/trailer combo that - for decades
- I towed w. a 2,600 lb, unboosted/drum-braked, vehicle, throughout the high
plains and intermountain west...with nary a (negatively) exciting moment
behind the wheel of that particular combo. That was after some years of towing
the same rig w. an early version of "a Torflex-like" welded-spring, brakeless,
axle whose spring-attach-welds broke on both sides of the axle.

I've also installed an electric brake controller on wifey's Tacoma (easy
enough)...but heard "some Fords" are bears in that particular department.

YMMV!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old February 16th 19, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

BobW wrote on 2/16/2019 9:24 AM:
On 2/16/2019 9:50 AM, Clay wrote:
[...]

What do you use for a parking brake, if the trailer is brakeless?

Old February 20th 19, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:21:22 AM UTC-8, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am trying to get away from the surge brakes and has anyone converted their trailer to electric brakes?? Thanks

Bob

I converted my cobra to Dexter Axle Torflex with electric brakes. I measured the axle bolt holes spacing, tire bolt scheme and distance from wheel to wheel. Purchased online from a trailer company they welded the brackets to fit. The easiest way is to take to a trailer dealer that carries Dexter Axles and have them replace the axle.
It was about 15 years ago as I remember $450 included shipping from Florida to CA. Call if you have questions.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Yes, thanks for the info. I did look into the Dexter Torflex axle and it does come with the electric or hydraulic braking capabilities. I will be doing some measuring and evaluating the situation in the near future. Another good feature of the axle and wheel assembly is that one no longer needs to look for Opel car wheels as the proper lug configuration. The Komet trailer company used Opel car wheels as their choice. I had to locate a wheel for a spare tire and it was difficult to find one.
Old February 17th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 5:21:22 AM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am trying to get away from the surge brakes and has anyone converted their trailer to electric brakes?? Thanks

My Komet Trailer was converted to electric brakes before I purchased it. At first, my car didn't have a brake controller and I was really worried that I was missing out on towing nirvana. I installed it and quickly realized that it helped a little but certainly not a life-changing upgrade.

My old vehicle has been replaced this winter and I am thinking that I want a brake controller again to gain that 1% of towing happiness (ok, and safety). But I don't want to bother trying to get it installed in my nice new car. I will probably be giving this product a try: https://www.curtmfg.com/news/curt-la...-brake-control

I hope my experience helps with your decision.
Old February 19th 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:21:22 AM UTC-8, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am trying to get away from the surge brakes and has anyone converted their trailer to electric brakes?? Thanks

Does anyone know what a Komet trailer with a typical single seat seat glider weighs? Some states in U.S. require brakes if 1500 lbs or more (most are 3000lbs or more).
Old February 20th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does anyone know what a Komet trailer with a typical single seat seat glider weighs? Some states in U.S. require brakes if 1500 lbs or more (most are 3000lbs or more).

From memory, our 1978 Komet with an LS-3 was about 1700 lbs.

Chip Bearden
Old February 23rd 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Took my 1981 komet to a local trailer shop for adjustments and lube before a trip out west last summer. They said they had never seen such a contraption underneath it, and didn't have any way to replace parts. He thought it looked like some backyard custom made thing. Which is pretty consistent with what I've noticed about glider trailers, no two are the same. I ended up going to a new axle with electric brakes, which I was towing behind a 4runner. It involved quote a bit of creativity on the shop's end, and they did excellent work. Also involved bolting the sliding tongue down, since surge breaks were gone. It made a difference, simply because the 4runner wheelbase was pretty short. Getting passed by a truck or windy conditions tended to wag the vehicle a bit, regardless of trailer tongue loading. With the electric brakes, you leave the gain at 2 or 3, and if it starts swinging just squeeze a little manual brake pressure and it straightens right out. Now I tow behind a tundra, and forget the trailer is even attached. Another point is, during a long trip if something original komet fails, it'll be weeks before you're back on the road. With this one I could buy parts at Auto zone and wheels at Wal Mart if I had to. For me it was all about reliability and safety. But then again I also have a back up camera on my trailer wired to the tail light circuit and LEDs all over it. I think the total for the axle and brake swap ended up being about $1,600. Also it took me dragging it to 3 different shops before one agreed to be creative and work on it.

Jordan

Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 7 August 7th 17 05:34 AM
Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
Old Komet Trailer thermalrider Soaring 7 October 11th 08 04:13 PM
Electric Trailer Brakes, (Revisited) sisu1a Soaring 14 June 9th 08 07:32 PM
Trailer brakes Bert Willing Soaring 1 October 31st 03 07:55 AM