Oil on the windshield. What would you do?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

Default Oil on the windshield. What would you do?

Here's a question that anyone with a single
engine, constant speed prop might have to
deal with sometime.

You're cruising along happily when suddenly
oil drops start appearing on the windshield. There
is no "bang" or anything else to indicate catastrophic
failure. The nearest airport is out of gliding range.
What do you do?

I'd assume symptoms were caused by some prop seal
failure. I'd go to fine pitch (to minimize further oil
loss) & then reduce RPM to where I could still maintain
altitude (to further minimize oil loss, and to minimize
structural damage if the prop were about to disintegrate)
while heading for the nearest airport.

Can anyone think of a better response?

OOPS! Got contact cement on the windshield Mike Rapoport Owning 12 November 13th 04 11:13 PM
Windshield Antenna Kits Scrabo Piloting 2 July 12th 04 04:58 PM
windshield wipers tony roberts Owning 8 June 1st 04 02:45 AM
Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield! Peter R. Owning 7 April 28th 04 07:58 AM
Windshield sealant Mike Noel Owning 10 October 2nd 03 01:04 AM