Birds on the Tail

Old May 8th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Birds on the Tail

I'm surprised that I have not been able to find much on Google on deterring
birds on the tails of GA aircraft. Maybe I haven't found the magic search
terms yet. Anyhow, has anyone tried this or anything similar with any
success? http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/b...er.htm?ABS=BBG. I have
visions of wind meter-type of spinner (with the little cups) lightly-clipped
near the top of the tail but I worry about leaving it on by accident.

A tie-down neighbor has an owl perched on a high pole attached to a weighted
base. His Mooney's tail seems crap-free but I still need to verify its
effectiveness. Maybe I can put the Bird Spider on a similar contraption. I
saw an older post by Margy Natalie about using old CD's or the scare ball
but I'm unsure of the mounting options.

Thanks,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Since there is more than one product on the market, you know that none
of them are the magic answer..
denny

Old May 9th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Not related to aviation, but once I had a problem with bird droppings
associated with a yagi type antenna
on a ship. I solved it by installing a windmill (made from anemometer
parts) above the antenna. Worked like a charm - so that is definitely a
valid approach.

Once I saw a plane with one of those plastic owls mounted on one of the
prop tips (which was positioned vertically). Don't know how well it
worked, since it wasn't at my home airport, and I never saw the plane
again.

David Johnson

Old May 9th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have a pair of real live owls that roost atop my
ham antennas. I have plenty of little birds that vist
the trees below and use my patio as their toilet.
But, I only see the owls on their roost late at night.
Have not seen any mice around in a long time, though.

Although I would not want to man the post 24 x 7, a
Red Rider BB gun might get the message across to
those pesky tail squatters. Aim carefully so as not to induce
'hail damage' on the vertical tail sections :-)

Ronnie

Old May 10th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mon, 8 May 2006 11:09:51 -0400, "Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com
wrote:

I'm surprised that I have not been able to find much on Google on deterring
birds on the tails of GA aircraft. Maybe I haven't found the magic search
terms yet. Anyhow, has anyone tried this or anything similar with any
success? http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/b...er.htm?ABS=BBG. I have
visions of wind meter-type of spinner (with the little cups) lightly-clipped
near the top of the tail but I worry about leaving it on by accident.

A shot gun is just the ticket. Get the largest gage you can handle
and open choked. Use fine shot as it doesn't carry as far as buckshot
and limits collateral damage. As to collateral damage, if the
unthinkable should happen, tell the insurance company it was a very
localized hail storm.

However this does have some hidden drawbacks. Keep an eye out on the
near by hangars. Be careful is you see suspicious groups lurking
about carrying rope, or bringing in buckets of tar and down filled
pillows. Also keep an eye out for airport managers and strange
padlocks on your hangar door. Also watch for live skunks in your
hangar, limburger cheese in the heater or just on the manifold some
times shows up as well.

A tie-down neighbor has an owl perched on a high pole attached to a weighted
base. His Mooney's tail seems crap-free but I still need to verify its

Mount it in place of the rotating beacon while letting the light shine
out its eyes.

effectiveness. Maybe I can put the Bird Spider on a similar contraption. I
saw an older post by Margy Natalie about using old CD's or the scare ball

According to amateur radio acceptance to really keep the birds away
the owl must face true north.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com