Twist-on BNC connectors

Old January 19th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Twist-on BNC connectors

Those ARE BNC, Robert. What the OP was asking was whether or not the way
the cable was attached to the connector could be one of the kind where you
simply strip the outer sheath back an inch or so, strip the center insulator
back a quarter of an inch, put a threaded ferrule over the outer shield of
the connector, slide the inner insulator into the body of the connector and
then thread the ferrule into a mating thread on the connector. No crimp, no
solder.

The consensus, and I heartily agree, that those "twist on" BNC connectors
aren't worth powdered bat **** as an RF connector, much less an aircraft RF
connector.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 4:48 pm, John Smith wrote:
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

Are they acceptable for avionics use?

I wouldn't recommend them.
Maybe as a temporary emergency repair, but not for something you want to
depend on.

I always thought that the half turn connectors that are the standard
in avionics were called BNC. If not, what are they called?

-Robert

Old January 19th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Me, I just go to the local computer store and buy some of the pre-made RG-58
cables with BNC connectors already attached.....

Done that lately, Ron?

BNC is used with 10Base2 ethernet cables. 10Base2 has been obsolete for
almost a decade. Maybe you shop in a better computer store than I do, but
I know all the ones I frequent wouldn't even know what a coax network
cable was.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old January 19th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:04:59 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Me, I just go to the local computer store and buy some of the pre-made RG-58
cables with BNC connectors already attached.....

Done that lately, Ron?

BNC is used with 10Base2 ethernet cables. 10Base2 has been obsolete for
almost a decade. Maybe you shop in a better computer store than I do, but
I know all the ones I frequent wouldn't even know what a coax network
cable was.

I bought some cables when I installed the handheld in the panel, about two-three
years ago. I called the place a "computer store" because I bought my VIC-20
from them about twenty-five years ago, and old habits die hard. :-)

But they haven't sold actual computers for about fifteen years, switching to
electronics parts and test equipment for the local hobbyists and repairmen.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 19th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
Those ARE BNC, Robert. What the OP was asking was whether or not the way
the cable was attached to the connector could be one of the kind where you
simply strip the outer sheath back an inch or so, strip the center insulator
back a quarter of an inch, put a threaded ferrule over the outer shield of
the connector, slide the inner insulator into the body of the connector and
then thread the ferrule into a mating thread on the connector. No crimp, no
solder.

The consensus, and I heartily agree, that those "twist on" BNC connectors
aren't worth powdered bat **** as an RF connector, much less an aircraft RF
connector.

I dunno about that, Jim. Prices seem to be going up.

https://www.stealthhydroponics.com/s...FQiaPAodZU-LIA

LLC ownership of airplane -- another twist xyzzy Owning 10 June 16th 07 04:34 PM
SR-22 Crash, with a twist john smith Piloting 47 March 20th 07 11:49 PM
Battery Connectors Paul Remde Soaring 9 April 9th 06 06:39 PM
A new twist on complaints Roger Piloting 37 November 11th 05 08:50 AM
Solid joystick (X-45 or HOTAS quality) with a *twist*? Zenin Simulators 3 January 26th 04 06:30 AM