Volatility Question about Mixing Fuels

Old April 4th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default Volatility Question about Mixing Fuels

My understanding is that 100LL has a relatively low volatility to reduce the
chance of vapor lock. Whereas Mogas often has a higher volatility.

With this in mind, what happens to the volatility if I mix 50% 100LL with
50% Mogas? Is the volatility of the mix the straight average of the two
fuels, or is the net volatility higher than the straight average?

Why do I ask? I'm considering running a "mix" in the RV-6 to save a few
bucks. The FBO at my home field charges about $2.00/gallon more for 100ll
than the nearby station charges for 93 octane, so a couple of 5 gallon tanks
worth of fuel will save me $20 bucks.

Old April 4th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

My experience suggests that the volitility of 100LL is not always less then
mogas.

I have seen 100LL 'fizz' like champagne in a drain test container when mogas
from an airplane parked next to mine showed no volitility at all. This as
at Albuquerque on a 100+ degree afternoon. He departed with no problems.
My fizzing 100LL scared me enough that I stayed overnight and left in the
early morning with cool fuel.

Bill Daniels

. ..

Old April 4th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

My understanding is that 100LL has a relatively low volatility to reduce the
chance of vapor lock. Whereas Mogas often has a higher volatility.

With this in mind, what happens to the volatility if I mix 50% 100LL with
50% Mogas? Is the volatility of the mix the straight average of the two
fuels, or is the net volatility higher than the straight average?

Why do I ask? I'm considering running a "mix" in the RV-6 to save a few
bucks. The FBO at my home field charges about $2.00/gallon more for 100ll
than the nearby station charges for 93 octane, so a couple of 5 gallon tanks
worth of fuel will save me $20 bucks.

The volatility should be the average of the two. That said, the octane
of the mix should be significantly higher than the average of the two,
due to the fact that TEL boosts octane nonlinearly -- i.e. small amounts
of TEL boost unleaded fuel, but large amounts do not boost it
proportionately.
Old April 4th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Earl

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 03:37:54 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

[...]

So does that mean that it would be OK to use 87 octane mogas because
the octane would be raised by the 100LL?

Steve in Michigan
Old April 4th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Earl wrote:

So does that mean that it would be OK to use 87 octane mogas because
the octane would be raised by the 100LL?

Other than the fact that it would put you in violation of the
regulations. The STC's don't have any provision for "custom
blending". You can mix avgas and the minimum octane mogas
(as indicated by your STC) in any ratio you want however.

Old April 4th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

Ron Natalie wrote:
Earl wrote:

So does that mean that it would be OK to use 87 octane mogas because
the octane would be raised by the 100LL?

Other than the fact that it would put you in violation of the
regulations. The STC's don't have any provision for "custom
blending". You can mix avgas and the minimum octane mogas
(as indicated by your STC) in any ratio you want however.

Oops...forgot we are talking homebuilts here.
Old April 4th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Earl wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 03:37:54 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

[...]

The answer depends on the minimum octane requirements for your engine.
Old April 4th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Earl" wrote

So does that mean that it would be OK to use 87 octane mogas because
the octane would be raised by the 100LL?

I would think you would want to find how to figure the reslulting blend's
exact octane rating. Otherwise, if it were not high enough, you could end
up creatings some pistons with special "flow through ports" in the piston's
crowns. :-o

Detonation would be a nasty price to pay for saving a couple bucks per tank.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 4th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

My understanding is that 100LL has a relatively low volatility to reduce
the
chance of vapor lock. Whereas Mogas often has a higher volatility.

The volatility should be the average of the two.

I don't know that I would assume that - vapor pressure can have some
non-linear behavior. Example: When you add ethanol, the vapor pressure with
10% is higher than the vapor pressure at either 0% or 85%...

That said, the octane
of the mix should be significantly higher than the average of the two,
due to the fact that TEL boosts octane nonlinearly -- i.e. small amounts
of TEL boost unleaded fuel, but large amounts do not boost it
proportionately.

Yup.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 5th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Bill Daniels wrote:
My experience suggests that the volitility of 100LL is not always less then
mogas.

I have seen 100LL 'fizz' like champagne in a drain test container when mogas
from an airplane parked next to mine showed no volitility at all. This as
at Albuquerque on a 100+ degree afternoon. He departed with no problems.
My fizzing 100LL scared me enough that I stayed overnight and left in the
early morning with cool fuel.

Bill Daniels

The volatility-(vapor pressure) of mogas changes with the
season,locatiom & altitude--the plane with the straight mogas probably
resided at Albuq. Whereas avgas keeps pretty much the same volatility,
since it is designed for longer storage times,etc.

Alternate Fuels john smith Piloting 0 September 25th 05 03:10 AM
Mixing PPG delta and PPG Durathane.....??? Randall Shimizu Home Built 3 November 5th 04 05:07 AM
U-2 fuels ? Lynn Coffelt Military Aviation 2 May 29th 04 04:48 PM
mixing 80 and 100 and autogas...? R. Wubben Owning 5 March 15th 04 03:28 AM
Mixing construction materials Neal Fulco Home Built 3 October 7th 03 01:55 PM