In Flight Emergency

Old March 20th 15, 09:44 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What caused the aileron jam, if known?

Hi Bruce

We had a bailout from a Discus CS in February at the Auckland Gliding
Club as a result of aileron controls becoming jammed. The pilot is
pretty happy he was wearing the expensive seat cushion. He departed the
CS at about 1600' AGL

:-) Colin
Hi

The parcel shelf was incorrectly installed and it allowed some pickets to fall into the controls. It's alleged that the pilot had some concerns before launching over full and free movement of the controls but launched anyway.

What is not alleged but proven in this case is that the expensive seat cushion can at times save a persons life when all other things have failed

The link is to a New Zealand CAA airworthiness notice. (It initiates a download)

https://www.caa.govt.nz/Airworthines...7-008_Rev1.pdf

Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : March 20th 15 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fix typo, add clarification about link
Old March 23rd 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default In Flight Emergency

Hi Bruce

We had a bailout from a Discus CS in February at the Auckland Gliding
Club as a result of aileron controls becoming jammed. The pilot is
pretty happy he was wearing the expensive seat cushion. He departed the
CS at about 1600' AGL

:-) Colin

I nearly had a similar incident in my Discus 2A a couple of years ago. The baggage compartment fiberglass shelf that slides in above and behind the spar was not installed properly. It slides into two slots and it's quite easy to miss one of them. After loading all my "stuff" into the baggage compartment, the shelf sagged down and interfered with the controls. Just before takeoff, I did a control check... moving stick in all directions while operating the dive break. Moving the dive brake caused the ailerons to move. I quickly released and moved off the take off line to resolve the problem. Now... I extremely careful above installing that baggage shelf. I hate to think what would have happened without the pre-take off full control check.

Walt Rogers WX

First emergency EventHorizon Owning 14 February 3rd 10 05:40 PM
Emergency Procedures Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 30 July 18th 06 03:25 PM
Emergency Dan Luke Piloting 57 April 12th 06 02:01 PM
JetBlue Flight Approaches For Emergency Landing At LAX Larry Dighera Piloting 5 September 23rd 05 05:01 AM
Not an emergency??? William W. Plummer Instrument Flight Rules 14 December 26th 03 06:28 AM