Airworthiness Cert Still Valid?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 12th 04, 02:00 AM
Carl Orton

Default Airworthiness Cert Still Valid?

OK; I posted a few months ago about how a plane I was interested in was
"de-registered" a short time after it was repossessed by the bank. (we've
already speculated on whether there was malicious intent or not, so let's
not go into HOW it got de-registered.)

Anyway, it went out of annual. We could not get a ferry permit to get it to
my A&P for an annual/pre-buy until it was registered. So, the bank got it
re-registered after a 6 wk wait on the FAA.

However, now when I check the online registry, under "Airworthiness
Certification" it says "None."

I called the FAA, and the nice lady said that because the plane was
de-registered because of "destruction" (it wasn't), the a/w is now void.
She said that the FSDO has to issue a new airworthiness cert.

So, my question is: Since the plane still has the original a/w cert, will
that just be re-entered into the FAA database, or will the FSDO re-issue a
cert, WITH a new date?

Secondly, would YOU, as a future purchaser, see the 2004 a/w cert date on a
1960's plane, and think that there was something not right about the deal?
Would you "buy" my story as related above?

Or is this just something that happens from time to time?

Thanks;
Carl
Ft Worth TX