How to buy a glider affordably - redux

Old October 31st 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to buy a glider affordably - redux

Andy Blackburn wrote:
At 08:18 29 October 2006, Tony wrote:
yea no kidding, the original post had nothing to do
with gliders. he
was trying to work some stock or money market system
or something.
most of those schreders are going for 3-4 times what
i payed for my
cherokee with an enclosed trailer. just remember,
if youve got enough
glider to make it back to the airport, you probably
could have gone at
least a third longer distance if you wouldve just kept
going downwind!

i bought my glider to avoid having to share gliders
with people (a'la
club) call me selfish but i like having my own ship
to go cross
country when and where i want. Ill keep a partner
in bed and that is
all.

You guys need to read more than the subject line...

My post referred back to a post a year ago where someone
asked if he had a new glider on order with a delivery
a year out what was the best thing to do with his money.

It ended up in a bet between a few of us and Tom Seim
who made a prediction about the performance of the
Fidelity ContraFund versus the broad market and Euro/$
exchange rates. His suggestion was to keep you money
in dollars and invest in the ContraFund. Turned out
to be bad advice. My post was to close the loop on
that bet.

Andy,

You better go back and reread your post yourself. There was never any
mention of a "bet". Quite the contrary, I commented on your complete
lack of any recommendations whatsoever. The only thing you recommended
was to (maybe) order the glider and take a currency hedge position,
which will be useless to your average investor. Mainly, you criticized
mutual fund newsletters, but offered up no alternative.

Yes, invest your money and wait. For instance, if you put your money
in a high quality mutual fund you will begin accumulating principal.
Take your $70,000 and put in a Morningstar 5-star fund (i.e. Fidelity
Contrafund). If you average 15% return the numbers a
Year Amount
0 $70000
1 80500
2 92575
3 106461
4 122430
5 140795
6 161914
etc.

At some point the price of the glider, converted from euros, is going
to be less than your investment. BUY THE GLIDER! This is, simply, the
power of compounded interest.

Don't agree with my numbers? Then put your damn money into a mattress
and see what happens!

--------------

Since then (Nov 2004) the ContraFund has gained 35% vs 22% for the S&P
500. This is a compound rate of return over 16%. Personally, I am VERY
pleased with that performance. If you left it in 3 month Tresury bills
(the present day version of the matress) you might have gottern 8%.
The Euro has dropped from 1.2933 to 1.273 in the same period (despite
one prediction on RAS that it would go to 1.35!). So the advice was
excellent by any reasonable measure. Picking apart performance
differences over a short time period (6 months) demonstrates an
appalling lack of understanding on how markets work. This is, indeed,
very bad advice.

Tom

Old October 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn

At 18:36 31 October 2006, wrote:

[...]

Hey Tom,

Glad to see you haven't lost your fiestiness. ;-)

Ad hominem arguments notwithstanding...

Since the question was what should someone contemplating
a new glider purchase in November 2005 do, I find it
an interesting strategy to suggest that they go back
in time to invest their money. That is a classic symptom
of chasing past returns. Where do you keep your time
machine?

You are right, I did not mention a specific Euro hedging
strategy, but the most aggressive would be to buy all
Euros and invest in a local currency index like the
DAX. You could put any mix of dollars in an S&P 500
index and Euros in the DAX and it would have outperformed
a dollars/ContraFund strategy.

Most of us are long term buy and hold, so I don't know
where you get the idea that we are not. I have a mix
of index and actively managed accounts (mostly hedge
funds and internaltional markets for the latter). Looking
back 5+ years the ContraFund had done better that the
broad market - not a point in dispute. The question
is what will it do going forward? That is the question
confronting an investor today. Since our discussion
started a year ago, it defies reason to assume returns
from prior to November 2005.

I also agree that 12 months is short to judge the success
of an investment strategy - so maybe we should renew
the 'non-bet' for another year, 2-years? How long
would ContraFund need to underperform before it loses
its luster for you? Do you somehow think that its 5-year
history before 2006 guarantees that ContraFund will
out-perform a broad index (by more than its 1% load)?
Unless you have some insight into WHY a fund has outperformed
in the past and some evidence that that specific strategy
will continue to hold up, just picking top quartile
funds or managers over any period IS the definition
of chasing past returns - you can look it up. Oh, but
you don't read textbooks - that's for egghead professors
who don't understand real investing.

I admire your courage to keep shooting in the face
of mounting losses and I'm glad you haven't gone offline
- it would have spoiled the fun.

;-)

9B

Old November 1st 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

The original Nov 2004 post was in response to "How do I buy a glider
affordably", not what the best investment strategy is. I pointed out
the option of investing and waiting. Judging that these were not
sophisticated investers I suggested top ranked funds such as the
ContraFund, which has an undeniable excellent long term track record.
After 2 years that strategy WORKED! The ContraFund is up 35% and you
could go ahead and buy your glider. You seem to be arguing with
success. What part of 35% don't you like?

Contrary to your continued accusal that I am "chasing returns", I
recommended a fund that ISN'T at the top of the return list, but has
CONSISTENT LONG TERM returns. If you pick funds based SOLEY on their
near-term performance you will inevitably get into funds that just get
lucky and have a single good quarter.

There is nothing wrong with investing in an index - I do it myself on
sector investing. The good thing about investing in a broad market
index is that you are guaranteed of getting the market performance.
This is not a bad thing since too many individual investors buy high
and sell low.

I admire your courage to keep shooting in the face
of mounting losses and I'm glad you haven't gone offline
- it would have spoiled the fun.

Mounting LOSSES? Where have I lost anything? Oh, you must think that
under performing an index is a loss! How NOVEL! Perhaps you should
reread my first post on this thread: I have trimmed my holdings in the
ContraFund, but still hold it. And, by the way, my TOTAL portfolio
return for the last 12 months is 18%, how are you doing?

The part about the text books. That is called an "ad hominem" attack.
Look it up on Google - it is an irrelevent personal attack that has
nothing to do with the issue at hand. How do you know what text books I
have read? The answer is you don't.

Tom

Old November 3rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

Why would anyone bet on the dollar versus the Euro?! With our deficit
spending the dollar will continue to decline!

Craig

On Oct 27, 1:07 pm, Andy Blackburn
wrote:
FROM 11 MONTHS AGO:

Only point was that one would need to know your predictions
for what to do for, say, the past 10-20 years to know
if your 2005 prediction was good or just lucky. Stock
newsletter writers have used 'survivor bias' in market
forecasting for years - trumpet your successful calls
and hide from the rest.

But rather than trying to go back a decade, we can
just start now. For those considering buying gliders
later in 2006, what's your forecast for the $/Euro
rate 12 months from now?Well, I started about 35 years ago, but who's counting?

For the next 12 months I predict that the Euro will
continue its
decline, probably leveling off at a $1.05 to a $1.10.
I would
definitely not hedge the Euro, however. I would - and
will - keep a
substantial portion of my holdings in the ContraFund
(but I also own a
couple of dozen other funds, ContraFund is my largest
holding). And, at
this point, I would put the glider on order (if I were
in the market
for a new glider).

My recommendation is, if you have a glider on order,
hedge the FX rate, but if you think you can out-guess
the market, you're probably only half right.

9BI don't out-guess the market; I find fund managers

who have a proven
track record of doing that. And I monitor there performance
to ensure
that they remain in the top 20-30% of their peers.

Tom

Soooo, with a month to go on Tom's prediction how are
we doing?

Tom's advice:

Don't buy Euros in 11/05, instead buy ContraFund (versus
alternative funds, such as an S&P ETF or Euro-based
index) and wait.

Specific Euro prediction: weakening Euro from $1.20
in 11/05 to $1.10 or $1.05.

Actual performance:

Euro has strengthened from $1.20 to $1.25.

ContraFund: up 10.9% or 9.97% after management expenses
S&P 500 index: up 15.1%
DAX (German market) index: up 28.2%

So if you had taken $100,000 for a new glider (pick
your own number, but this one is nice and round) and
invested it in the ContraFund and taken it out yesterday
to buy Euros you would have 87,644 Euros or a 5% return
after adjusting for exchange rates.

If on the other had you had bought Euros a year ago
and put your money in a no-load DAX index you would
today have 107,017 Euros, or 23% more than under Tom's
strategy. In fact buying Euros and investing in a short-term
money market fund would have done better too.

Of course there is still a month to go so maybe the
ContraFund will make a big move, but over the past
12 months (and particularly the past 3 months the ContraFund
has significantly underperformend all the major market
indicies.

This was the point about chasing past returns - anyone
looking at the ContraFund performance up to last November
and deciding to invest with an expectation of above
market returns would have been disappointed.

Credit to Tom for putting his money where his mouth
was and making a prediction - many people don't have
the strength of their convictions. He just didn't turn
out to be right on either count up until now.

For reference:

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#char...;range=1y;comp
are=^gspc+^dji;indicator=volume;charttype=line;cro sshair=on;logsca
le=on;source=

9B

Old November 3rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce T.

Default Now for something really off topic

Roger wrote:
Why would anyone bet on the dollar versus the Euro?! With our deficit
spending the dollar will continue to decline!

Craig

Our deficits are now declining and are paid for by the Chinese. Our
unemployment rate is so low that we need to import millions of
"uneducated, illiterate foreigners to do the jobs that Americans don't
want to do", and build a fence to keep them out; and our gasoline
prices are back below $2.00 per gallon. In France gas prices are low
enough that their cars can once again be easily burned by THEIR
uneducated, illiterate foreigners; which is what, $5.00 a gallon? If
they don't get their gas prices back up to six they'll run out of cars.
Why would anyone bet on the Euro versus the dollar?

October 30, 2006
The Dark Ages
Live from the Middle East
by Victor Davis Hanson
Tribune Media Services

The most frightening aspect of the present war is how easily our
pre-modern enemies from the Middle East have brought a stunned
postmodern world back into the Dark Ages.

Students of history are sickened when they read of the long-ago,
gruesome practice of beheading. How brutal were those societies that
chopped off the heads of Cicero, Sir Thomas More and Marie Antoinette.
And how lucky we thought we were to have evolved from such elemental
barbarity.

Twenty-four hundred years ago, Socrates was executed for unpopular
speech. The 18th-century European Enlightenment gave people freedom to
express views formerly censored by clerics and the state. Just imagine
what life was like once upon a time when no one could write music,
compose fiction or paint without court or church approval?

Over 400 years before the birth of Christ, ancient Greek literary
characters, from Lysistrata to Antigone, reflected the struggle for
sexual equality. The subsequent notion that women could vote, divorce,
dress or marry as they pleased was a millennia-long struggle.

It is almost surreal now to read about the elemental hatred of Jews in
the Spanish Inquisition, 19th-century Russian pogroms or the Holocaust.
Yet here we are revisiting the old horrors of the savage past.

Beheading? As we saw with Nick Berg and Daniel Pearl, our Neanderthal
enemies in the Middle East have resurrected that ancient barbarity -
and married it with 21st-century technology to beam the resulting gore
instantaneously onto our computer screens. Xerxes and Attila, who stuck
their victims' heads on poles for public display, would've been
thrilled by such a gruesome show.

Who would have thought centuries after the Enlightenment that
sophisticated Europeans - in fear of radical Islamists - would be
afraid to write a novel, put on an opera, draw a cartoon, film a
documentary or have their pope discuss comparative theology?

The astonishing fact is not just that millions of women worldwide in
2006 are still veiled from head-to-toe, trapped in arranged marriages,
subject to polygamy, honor killings and forced circumcision, or are
without the right to vote or appear alone in public. What is more
baffling is that in the West, liberal Europeans are often wary of
protecting female citizens from the excesses of Sharia law -
sometimes even fearful of asking women to unveil their faces for
purposes of simple identification and official conversation.

Who these days is shocked that Israel is hated by Arab nations and
threatened with annihilation by radical Iran? Instead, the surprise is
that even in places like Paris or Seattle, Jews are singled out and
killed for the apparent crime of being Jewish.

Since Sept. 11, the West has fought enemies who are determined to bring
back the nightmarish world that we thought was long past. And there are
lessons Westerners can learn from radical Islamists' ghastly efforts.

First, the Western liberal tradition is fragile and can still
disappear. Just because we have sophisticated cell phones, CAT scanners
and jets does not ensure that we are permanently civilized or safe.
Technology used by the civilized for positive purposes can easily be
manipulated by barbarians for destruction.

Second, the Enlightenment is not always lost on the battlefield. It can
be surrendered through either fear or indifference as well. Westerners
fearful of terrorist reprisals themselves shut down a production of a
Mozart opera in Berlin deemed offensive to Muslims. Few came to the aid
of a Salman Rushdie or Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh when their
unpopular expression earned death threats from Islamists. Van Gogh, of
course, was ultimately killed.

The Goths and Vandals did not sack Rome solely through the power of
their hordes; they also relied on the paralysis of Roman elites who no
longer knew what it was to be Roman - much less whether it was any
better than the alternative.

Third, civilization is forfeited with a whimper, not a bang.
Insidiously, we have allowed radical Islamists to redefine the
primordial into the not-so-bad. Perhaps women in head-to-toe burkas in
Europe prefer them? Maybe that crass German opera was just too over the
top after all? Aren't both parties equally to blame in the Palestinian,
Iraqi and Afghan wars?

To grasp the flavor of our own Civil War, impersonators now don period
dress and reconstruct the battles of Shiloh or Gettysburg. But we need
not show such historical reenactment of the Dark Ages. You see, they
are back with us - live almost daily from the Middle East.

©2006 Tribune Media Services

Old November 3rd 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Eddie

Personally, I believe it's the meek who are behind
all this...

;o)

=A92006 Tribune Media Services

Old November 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Al Eddie" wrote in message
Personally, I believe it's the meek who are behind
all this...

;o)

And I say, "OFF with their heads!!!"

sorry,

bumper

Old November 3rd 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson

There are (civilised) nations that still hang and electrocute
people. Not mentioning any in particular of course.

Old November 3rd 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

It's Bush who has taken us back into the Dark Ages, specifically to a time
before Runnymede and the Magna Carta. 900 years was a pretty good run for
the right of Habeus Corpus, the foundation of liberty, but now it's
quaint--like the Geneva Conventions.

I'm working toward a day I can show my daughter the America I once
knew--y'know the one with a Constitution, a Bill of Rights. Those "just a
god damned piece of paper" things as George put it.

Bush. The small man who thinks he's fighting a war and is too damnably
stupid to realize he lost the war when he started taking the rights of
citizens. He lost to his own fears. He has taken from us what no foreign
invader ever could. Damn him.

Sorry for this OT post.

Old November 3rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SAM 303a wrote:
It's Bush who has taken us back into the Dark Ages, specifically to a time
before Runnymede and the Magna Carta. 900 years was a pretty good run for
the right of Habeus Corpus, the foundation of liberty, but now it's
quaint--like the Geneva Conventions.

I'm working toward a day I can show my daughter the America I once
knew--y'know the one with a Constitution, a Bill of Rights. Those "just a
god damned piece of paper" things as George put it.

Bush. The small man who thinks he's fighting a war and is too damnably
stupid to realize he lost the war when he started taking the rights of
citizens. He lost to his own fears. He has taken from us what no foreign
invader ever could. Damn him.

Sorry for this OT post.

No problem.

And isn't wonderful that you can say this and even give your real name
(if you so chose) without the fear someone will come to your door, take
you away and cut your head off. This is the situation in much of the
Mid-East right now.

Our rights are only as good as our will and ability to protect them.
Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus during the Civil War, are you
going to damn him, too?

Tom

Euro vs Contrafund Update, or How to Buy a Glider Affordably [email protected] Soaring 6 July 7th 05 05:07 AM
Euro vs Contrafund, or how to buy a glider (affordably) [email protected] Soaring 2 March 27th 05 07:46 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM