Autopilot pitch problem

Old January 27th 05, 03:52 PM
Jim Burns

Default Autopilot pitch problem

We've got an S-Tec 60-2 in our Aztec. After sitting out in a heavy pounding
rain last summer, we started experiencing run away pitch problems. I found
an S-Tec news letter that says this can happen when water gets into the
static system and the transducer can't read the proper static pressure. It
says to remove the static line from the transducer, cap it, and fly the
airplane with cabin static pressure going to the transducer to see if the
problem goes away. No problems have been noted with any of the pitot/static
instruments.

Has anybody had this happen? Does anybody know what the transducer looks
like? Obviously it's attached to a static line, and S-Tec says that it
should be mounted in a warm dry place, but I'm wondering what I should look
for.

Thanks
Jim

Old January 27th 05, 03:57 PM
Steve

[...]

Look at http://www.s-tec.com/pdf/SYS60-2.pdf. It's the little blue round
thingy.

Old January 27th 05, 04:39 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks. Now I just need to find where it's mounted.
Jim

Old January 28th 05, 12:28 AM
Javier Henderson

"Jim Burns" writes:

Thanks. Now I just need to find where it's mounted.

Find the static ports dedicated to the a/p pressure sensor, then follow
the tubing.

-jav
Old January 28th 05, 02:28 PM
Jim Burns

That brings up a great question... Will there be a static port specifically
dedicated to the pressure transducer, or could the line going to the
pressure transducer simply be T'd into the instrument static tubeing? I'm
hopeing that it is a dedicated source/line, because it would simplify
matters if we indeed find water in the line.
Thanks
Jim

Old January 28th 05, 04:22 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jim Burns" writes:

That brings up a great question... Will there be a static port specifically
dedicated to the pressure transducer, or could the line going to the
pressure transducer simply be T'd into the instrument static tubeing? I'm
hopeing that it is a dedicated source/line, because it would simplify
matters if we indeed find water in the line.

I have owned two airplanes with S-Tec autopilots, on both cases there
were two static ports dedicated to the a/p.

-jav

Old January 28th 05, 08:26 PM
Juan Jimenez

The answer to that question usually depends on whether the a/p was factory
equipment, or an add-on...

Old February 1st 05, 05:48 AM
cc

My STec setup also has its own static port.

Old February 1st 05, 09:39 PM
Jim Burns

Ours is too. Tested the transducer as prescribed by S-Tec, it was fine.
Found the trim servo mis-wired. Problem solved.

Jim