Fowler Flap Mechanism

Old September 3rd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

Default Fowler Flap Mechanism

After seeing the KP-5 Kappa Aircraft import's Fowler flap operate on the
Sport Pilot tv program, I was wondering what the simplest, least complicated
mechanically/structurally sound means to operate would be.

It appeared to be some sort of extendable track??
My first thought, is that doesn't appear to be very simple.

Comments?
Thanks, Dick

Old September 3rd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GTH

Roland Derks a écrit :
Or lowering the hinge center?

Definitely yes.
See http://contrails.free.fr/temp/Pilot100Yrs-06-164.pdf

BTW, the rest of my website might be of interest to other homebuilders

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr
Old September 4th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_4_]

"GTH" wrote

BTW, the rest of my website might be of interest to other homebuilders

I went to your homepage, and found the English page for the index of what is
on your site.

It appears to be a very good site, with many subjects open for viewing.

However, when I went to one (or several) of the links, it came up in French,
and I saw no place to select English. Unfortunately, I don't read French, so
all I could do is look at the pretty pictures and illustrations. g Am I
missing something, or is there no translation available for the other pages?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 4th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
WestCDA

You might want to try one of the free translation tools out there from
Google or another provider. Their translation can be pretty crude at times,
but it usually gets the point across. I'm also not fortunate enough to be
conversant in more than one language, like Gilles apparently is - but
there's certainly a lot of good information available that's not in Anglais.

That's an interesting intermediate flap mechanism, that deploys to cover
the gap between the main wing trailing edge and and the extended flap.

"GTH" wrote

Old September 4th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_4_]

"WestCDA" wrote

You might want to try one of the free translation tools out there from
Google or another provider. Their translation can be pretty crude at

times,
but it usually gets the point across.

Humm. I've never seen anything that even approached readable from
translation programs, ESPECIALLY when it comes to technical subjects.

I understand if he did not take the time to translate all of it, but I
wanted to know if I missed doing something to read a translation that might
be there, already.

And if not, GET WITH IT, and translate the rest of it! g OK, just
j0king really! Kind-of. :-)

Trying my best at an ugly American impression! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old September 4th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Henry

Dick wrote:
After seeing the KP-5 Kappa Aircraft import's Fowler flap operate on the
Sport Pilot tv program, I was wondering what the simplest, least complicated
mechanically/structurally sound means to operate would be.

I've always been struck by the simplicity of the flap mechanism on the
Aviat Husky. There's a good photo of it he

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0964371/L/
Old September 4th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dick[_1_]

Still need a little more detail regarding how the Fowler flap mechanism
inside the wing was configured . Do the flap ends slide in a groove inside
a rib? Is there a center located pushrod or one at each end? I can
understand the piano hinge and it's ability for a flap to stay "fixed" but
can't visualize the Fowler extension details. Thanks, Dick

Old September 4th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:21:04 +1000, Michael Henry
wrote:

Dick wrote:
After seeing the KP-5 Kappa Aircraft import's Fowler flap operate on the
Sport Pilot tv program, I was wondering what the simplest, least complicated
mechanically/structurally sound means to operate would be.

I've always been struck by the simplicity of the flap mechanism on the
Aviat Husky. There's a good photo of it he

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0964371/L/

Speaking of Aviat we stopped there on the way home from OSH this
summer. Here are pictures I took of the facility

http://neme-s.org/Western_Trip_2006/...t_Aviation.htm

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Old September 6th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
tommyann[_1_]

Default Fowler Flap Mechanism pictures of flap

this link below might help figure some of the designs

http://www.nextcraft.com/highlift_rc_setups.html

"Dick" wrote in message
After seeing the KP-5 Kappa Aircraft import's Fowler flap operate on the
Sport Pilot tv program, I was wondering what the simplest, least

complicated
mechanically/structurally sound means to operate would be.

It appeared to be some sort of extendable track??
My first thought, is that doesn't appear to be very simple.

Comments?
Thanks, Dick

flap deployment [email protected] Piloting 14 July 22nd 06 04:09 AM
C172N Flap indicator problem onesto Owning 0 July 2nd 06 10:47 AM
Negative flaps for better low speed aileron control? [email protected] Soaring 41 August 25th 05 06:01 AM
Stuck cowl flap cable Jim Burns Owning 7 March 24th 05 03:07 PM
Flap angles DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 34 May 18th 04 12:09 AM