Making a Glider Easier to See in the Air

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 25th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Making a Glider Easier to See in the Air

I live in a fairly busy area, airplane wise. Just last weekend I
spotted a single engine plane coming more or less straight at me at my
altitude. I quickly banked to 1) get out of the way and 2) be more
visible to the approaching airplane. I didn't notice any reaction so I
don't know if he saw me or not.

Face it, airplanes are difficult to see in the best of times and a
glider is generally white which makes it more problematic. I have
been told that is why European gliders have red wing tips.

This brings up a possible idea. No, not anti-collision lights. How
about reflective tape. Radio Control glider pilots use a hologram like
tape called Sky Sheen to help them spot their ships from the ground. I
was at a RC glider field last summer and saw it in action. I found a
source (but no picture) at;

http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...lection=search

The question is, might this work for us? Is there a worry about
damaging the wing surface? Spoiling the aerodynamics? Others?

Sport Pilot and Glider Questions Ralph Steiner Soaring 17 February 22nd 06 11:34 AM
Glider Weight/Wing Loading and determing speed for best L/D for a given weight 65E Soaring 3 January 26th 06 09:26 PM
Soaring Seminar - March 19th - ChicagoLand Glider Council ContestID67 Soaring 4 January 6th 05 11:28 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Announce/USA: FAA Glider Flying Handbook / Bob Wander SoarBooks Soaring 0 August 11th 03 03:55 PM