Angaar

Old November 28th 04, 07:09 AM
Tanel

Default Angaar

Palju sellise asja ehitamine vőiks maksta?
http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/new...os_3.htm#entry
Old November 28th 04, 06:14 PM
John Galloway

At 08:00 28 November 2004, Tanel wrote:
Palju sellise asja ehitamine vőiks maksta?
http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/new...os_3.htm#entry

I don't know what the comment about the new Portmoak
'glider store' means but there are also 2 earlier series
of construction photos on the Scottish Gliding Centre
website ...._photos_2.htm and ....._photos_1.htm

http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/introduction.htm#entry

We think there is unlikely to be a hangar with a significantly
higher storage density.

John Galloway

Old November 28th 04, 08:05 PM
tango4

"John Galloway" wrote in message
At 08:00 28 November 2004, Tanel wrote:
Palju sellise asja ehitamine vőiks maksta?
http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/new...os_3.htm#entry

I don't know what the comment about the new Portmoak
'glider store' means but there are also 2 earlier series
of construction photos on the Scottish Gliding Centre
website ...._photos_2.htm and ....._photos_1.htm

http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/introduction.htm#entry

We think there is unlikely to be a hangar with a significantly
higher storage density.

John Galloway

The 'Cape Hangars' in Worcester South Africa used the same design perhaps 15
or more years ago. In addition to the bottom row of gliders a number of
Libelles and other light ships were hoisted into the roof which was a little
higher than the portmoak 'pretender'. :-)

Ian

Old November 28th 04, 10:06 PM
John Galloway

At 21:00 28 November 2004, Tango4 wrote:

[...]

It doesn't 'pretend' to be a first - in fact the Bristol
and Gloucestershire (Nympsfield) South hangar designed
by the late Tony Pentelow a lot longer ago than 15
years was the basis for the Portmoak design.

John Galloway

Old November 29th 04, 12:24 PM
JS

http://www.portmoak.force9.co.uk/introduction.htm#entry

We think there is unlikely to be a hangar with a significantly
higher storage density.

John Galloway

Not with private direct entrance/exit for every glider, anyhow. I consider
the construction as the traditional glider hangar. Ordinary large halls
(maybe with doors on both ends) can be packed equally dense, maybe even
more, but getting only the last/midmost glider out is painfull. I didn't
found any ratios describing gliders per area or ?'s per glider, did anyone
else..?

js

Old November 30th 04, 12:29 AM
Steve

This design looks a lot like what we have had at Sunflower Gliderport
for just over 30 years. Except ours has 10 rolling doors on each
side. Roughly 200 feet long, and 40 feet deep. Currently has 1-26,
IS-29 Lark, HP-14, 2-33, and G-103 on one side, empty space where a
Woodstock lived, 2-22, C-182 (Towplane), empty space where Slingsby
Swallow will soon return, 16.5 meter Diamant, and another G-103 on the
other side. Total of 11 planes.

Would be tought to fit an Eta in with all the panels on, but other
that...

We keep the wing on the ground with an old tire or similar thing.
Padding at the option of the owner. It is also tall enough we could
hoist another over some of the less tall gliders. It actually tall
enough for a Cessna 310 with a flat nose strut, I think. Somewhere
around 13 to 14 foot high doors.

When it was built, we could lock it. Trouble is, as it seems with any
club, someone will show up to fly and not have their key. It goes
down hil from there. Just like the storage cabinet we made. Put a
lock on it. Even wrote the combo on the back of the box in pencil.
The instructor came up, needed into the box, so he "openned the box
without removing the lock".

A couple of recommendations for you. It is a long ways from the
upright of the truss to the outside of the roof. Suggest you put
cables and over center boomers to tie the edge of the roof to the
ground. Done on both sides, the roof will no longer flex in the wind.
This is a simple affair, of two cable loops. One attached to the
roof, the other attached to the ground. Use the boomer/latch/hasp to
connect the cables and apply tension. Recommend one at every truss,
except of course, for the end walls. Teach everyone to set the latch
on the ground when they remove it, so it cannot ding the wing of the
sailplane being removed. Might want to make the upper cable loops
shorter so they will not hang down hear the wings.

Put a vertical post hanging down from the roof, just inside of the
doors, every 1/3 of a door span. This way, if the roof does flex in a
wind storm, the doors cannot fall in on the sailplanes they are
protecting. We learned all these lessons the hard way. Our doors
roll on tracks on the ground and have a simple pin going into a
c-channel at the top.

My favorite scary memory of this hangar was watching a door just fall
outward, right next to a glider. The door was being moved, and all
the top pins fell out. The door was claer of the glider, and just
made a lot of wind and dust fly. We propped the door back up, put in
new pins, put the glider away for the evening, and went on our way.

A beautiful design and a great way to store sailplane.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS
Old December 1st 04, 05:14 PM
OscarCVox

The ultimate in inefficiancy must be the T4 hanger at Lasham. A great big
hanger with one end blocked off so gliders can only be loaded at the other.
Tough luck if yours is right at the back. Remove 25 + gliders, remove yours,
replace 25+ gliders. A recipe for hanger rash if I ever saw one
Old December 2nd 04, 02:21 PM
Tanel

I tried to post this link into an estonian newsgroup, but sent it
accidentaly here. We need a cheap hangar for 10 gligers and any good
ideas or fotos are welcome.
Tanel