Curtis quick drain

Old December 24th 05, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Curtis quick drain

Mine started leaking after 20 years of service, not a bad service life for
something that I can replace for less than $10 at aircraft Spruce, or $14
from Sacramento Sky ranch. But since it is brass and looks to be in great
shape, I would just like to replace it's rubber seal. I thought it was an
o-ring, but it is a tiny rubber washer. I found what I thought was the
perfect replacement from Mc Master Carr, had to order 100 of them. Sadly
they do not fit. I asked the FBO guys next door and they said they used to
be able to order the seals but they can't get them any more. BTW the new
valve that I ordered from Spruce will be here next week.

Does anyone know of a source of just the seals?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Old December 24th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Curtis will not sell the seals. They know that about the time the seal goes
the riveted retainer pops off and lets everything drain out. You can buy
the D-seals in 100 lots at $3.75 each or $375 but not from Curtis.

You can replace it with new for less than $15 You can get a steel quick
drain for the same money that has a replaceable o-ring seal and there is no
brass to work harden and crack off.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

"Richard Riley" wrote in message

:
oes anyone know of a source of just the seals?
:
:Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Have you tried talking to Curtis directly?
http://www.curtissuperiorvalve.com/contact.html

Old December 26th 05, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I heard that some idiot installed a seal incorrectly and drained all the
fuel out of his tank so Curtis doesn't want the
liability so they don't sell replacement parts.
. ..

Quick drain mess. dlevy Owning 10 October 17th 05 01:55 AM
Spider in Archer Sump Drain Bob Chilcoat Owning 3 June 29th 05 10:29 PM
QUICK EASY CASH [email protected] Owning 1 April 20th 05 07:18 PM
RV Quick Build build times... [email protected] Home Built 2 December 17th 03 03:29 AM
sump drain cleaning Mike Noel Owning 15 August 15th 03 02:41 AM