Single engine CV trap

Old June 1st 07, 11:07 PM
Larry Cauble Larry Cauble is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon, USA
Default Single engine CV trap

Twin engine aircraft have been operating routinely from USN carriers for nearly sixty years now. The earliest to routinely operate was the AJ Savage, (which actually had three engines, of course), I guess. The F2H was in the Fleet about that time as well - 1950ish. (I figure the F7F doesn't count since as far as I know no squadron ever deployed on a cruise.)

Anyway...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever landed aboard with an engine out?
Old June 2nd 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss[_1_]

"Larry Cauble" wrote...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to
land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever
landed aboard with an engine out?

Don't know of one off hand that has NOT!

A-6, E-2, F-4, F/A-18...

Old June 2nd 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Robert Breen

In article ,
Larry Cauble wrote:

Twin engine aircraft have been operating routinely from USN carriers for
nearly sixty years now. The earliest to routinely operate was the AJ
Savage, (which actually had three engines, of course), I guess. The F2H
was in the Fleet about that time as well - 1950ish. (I figure the F7F
doesn't count since as far as I know no squadron ever deployed on a
cruise.)

Anyway...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to
land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever
landed aboard with an engine out?

Dunno about the USN, but of RN types the Fairey Gannet could, of course.
IIRC the Short Sturgeon was the first twin designed to be able to land on
with an engine out, but of course it never went operational from 'carriers.

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
Old June 2nd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:07:44 +0100, Larry Cauble
wrote:

Twin engine aircraft have been operating routinely from USN carriers for
nearly sixty years now. The earliest to routinely operate was the AJ
Savage, (which actually had three engines, of course), I guess. The F2H
was in the Fleet about that time as well - 1950ish. (I figure the F7F
doesn't count since as far as I know no squadron ever deployed on a
cruise.)

Anyway...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to
land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever
landed aboard with an engine out?

Many times in the S-2/E-1/C-1 community. The barrier was rigged for
the landing and it frequently resulted in serious (even "strike")
damage to the aircraft.

I would guess the same to be true for the E-2/C-2 community.

And the S-3 community.

Bill Kambic

Member, RAFS
Old June 3rd 07, 12:38 AM
Larry Cauble Larry Cauble is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon, USA

So when an A-6, F-4, F-14 or F-18 with one engine out lands, is it into the barrier like the props?
Old June 3rd 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
TV

Don't know of one off hand that has NOT!
A-6, E-2, F-4, F/A-18...

Any done at night? THAT would be a superman story!

TV

Old June 4th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Allan Rypka

I have one each S2 and S3 trap with one out, the S3 trap was at night.
Neither case had the barrier rigged. Neither was a particular problem.

In the case of the S3, the a/c was a bit more sensitive to glide slope
control since the operating engine was at much higher power than either
engine if both were operating.
Allan Rypka
VS 38, VS 22, VS 41

Old June 4th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss[_1_]

"Larry Cauble" wrote...

So when an A-6, F-4, F-14 or F-18 with one engine out lands, is it into
the barrier like the props?

In general, no. The pilot will usually get a couple chances to make a normal
approach and landing. However, bad weather may dictate the barricade for the
first try.