EW Microrecorder External Power

Old July 4th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default EW Microrecorder External Power

I tried connecting my EW logger to external 12V power from the glider per instructions in the manual. Current draw was reasonable (150-250 mA), but the unit became extremely hot (I couldn't hold it) and it stopped working for the rest of the day. The next day it functioned normally.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks!

Tom
2G
DG-400
Old July 4th 12, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have mine permanently wired to 12 volts. No heating issues at all. I really like this unit. We like it so much the club installed two more.

Lane
XF
Old July 5th 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:28:07 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
I tried connecting my EW logger to external 12V power from the glider per instructions in the manual. Current draw was reasonable (150-250 mA), but the unit became extremely hot (I couldn't hold it) and it stopped working for the rest of the day. The next day it functioned normally.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks!

Tom
2G
DG-400

Nope. Mine is powered from external 12V and works pretty much flawlessly (after adjusting some of the config settings to make sure it starts recording the second the glider moves).

Old July 11th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Vincent

On 5 July, 09:29, Papa3 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:28:07 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
I tried connecting my EW logger to external 12V power from the glider per instructions in the manual. Current draw was reasonable (150-250 mA), but the unit became extremely hot (I couldn't hold it) and it stopped working for the rest of the day. The next day it functioned normally.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks!

Tom
2G
DG-400

Nope. *Mine is powered from external 12V and works pretty much flawlessly (after adjusting some of the config settings to make sure it starts recording the second the glider moves).

Hi folks,

There is an in-built high temperature cut-out in the EW MicroRecorder
that shuts the unit down at 85 deg C and restarts at 70 deg C - refer
the manual. I run mine off the glider 12 volt system and had the unit
loosely insulated against the cold for extreme wave flights. However
I forgot to remove the insulation for summer use and it cut out
several times before I discovered the problem. In my specific case
there is no doubt that the charging process generates some heat but I
don't know if this is a widespread issue.

Geoff Vincent
Melbourne, Oz