Piper PA-28 question

Old September 16th 04, 02:06 PM
GE

Default Piper PA-28 question

I recently purchased a 1973 Cherokee Charger. So far, I am really enjoying
the aircraft, but I have a question that has gone unanswered. There is no
mention of it in the POH or the information manual that I have.

Beneath the throttle quadrant but above the fuel selector (on the right
side), there is a knob that I am unsure about. This knob rotates and turns a
marker that indicates "L" or "R". I believe that this may be a trim for the
vertical stabilizer but I am unsure of how and when to use it.

I could be totally wrong, so any advice on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Old September 16th 04, 02:22 PM
Dave Butler

GE wrote:
I recently purchased a 1973 Cherokee Charger. So far, I am really enjoying
the aircraft, but I have a question that has gone unanswered. There is no
mention of it in the POH or the information manual that I have.

Beneath the throttle quadrant but above the fuel selector (on the right
side), there is a knob that I am unsure about. This knob rotates and turns a
marker that indicates "L" or "R". I believe that this may be a trim for the
vertical stabilizer but I am unsure of how and when to use it.

I could be totally wrong, so any advice on this would be greatly
appreciated.

I've never flown a '73 Charger, but I'm a little confused by your description.
The PA28s I've flown have the fuel selector on the side wall by my left knee,
not near the throttle quadrant. But OK, your fuel selector must be in the floor
in the center under the throttle quadrant.

It sounds like you are describing rudder trim. It should be several turns from
the stop in one direction to the stop in the other direction. Turn it to the
right during takeoff and climb to relieve the rudder pressure otherwise required
to keep the ball centered. At level off and beginning of cruise, turn it to the
left to center the ball with your feet on the floor.

The rudder pressure required isn't that great in a Cherokee anyway, so if you
don't want to fool with it, just adjust it for cruise and use right rudder as
required during climb.

Dave

Old September 16th 04, 02:34 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"OtisWinslow" wrote:

Rudder trim. Use it to center the ball at cruise.

Assuming it works. From what I've seen of various Cherokees, as often
as not, they're pretty much inop. It connects into the rudder cable
system with springs. The springs eventually wear out or get out of
adjustment, and people tend not to bother fixing them.
Old September 16th 04, 02:47 PM
GE

Simple enough.

Do I turn it toward "L" if I want the ball to go left or is it opposite?

Old September 16th 04, 02:53 PM
Marco Leon

Mine works but just *barely*. It takes quite a bit of turning to budge the
rudder. Can anyone give me an idea of how much the getting a new set of
springs will set me back? I hope it's not as ridiculous as the cylinders for
the seat vertical adjustment...

Marco

Old September 16th 04, 03:03 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "GE" said:
Do I turn it toward "L" if I want the ball to go left or is it opposite?

Hold your foot on the rudder pedal to center the ball. Trim in the
direction of least resistance until there is no resistance. Release your
foot from the rudder pedal. It should now be trimmed.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"As Canadian as possible, under the circumstances"
Old September 16th 04, 03:37 PM
john smith

If the Charger is a PA28-235 predecessor to the Pathfinder predecessor
to the Dakota (PA28-236), then the Charger may have a four tank system
akin to the Cherokee Six, in which case the fuel selector is on the
floor as indicated.

Old September 17th 04, 04:37 AM
vincent p. norris

Mine works but just *barely*. It takes quite a bit of turning to budge the
rudder.

The trick is to give the knob a turn, then kick the appropriate
rudder pedal. Always works for me. I presume the kick ovecomes the
friction or "stickiness" in the system.

vince norris