Emron over Ceconite process

Old March 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Emron over Ceconite process

I'm looking at a wing that I've been told has been painted with Emron
paint over the Ceconite process.

Has anyone any experience with this combo? Any problems? If I had to
make a patch would the Emron come off as easily as the dope? - Mike

Old March 7th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 7 Mar 2006 10:05:16 -0800, "mhorowit" wrote:

I'm looking at a wing that I've been told has been painted with Emron
paint over the Ceconite process.

Has anyone any experience with this combo? Any problems? If I had to
make a patch would the Emron come off as easily as the dope? - Mike

I'm assuming you mean Imron Polyurethane.
The Imron is very difficult to remove.
Old March 7th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"mhorowit" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at a wing that I've been told has been painted with Emron
paint over the Ceconite process.

Has anyone any experience with this combo? Any problems? If I had to
make a patch would the Emron come off as easily as the dope? - Mike

That's "Imron" by Dupont. No, the Imrom cures and will not dissolve as does
dope. You would have to physically remove the Imrom by sanding or scraping
to get down to a soluble layer. This can be very difficult without damaging
the underlying fabric, but is possible.

If you want easy repair capability, stick to a soluble finish like dope.
http://www.randolphaircraft.com/

Rich S.

Old March 7th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote in message

That's "Imron" by Dupont. No, the Imrom cures and will not dissolve as
does dope.

Oops. My bad typo this time. "Imron" of course.

Rich S.

Old March 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article .com,
"mhorowit" wrote:

I'm looking at a wing that I've been told has been painted with Emron
paint over the Ceconite process.

Has anyone any experience with this combo? Any problems? If I had to
make a patch would the Emron come off as easily as the dope? - Mike

I made the mistake of painting fabric with Imron. It will, under some
circumstances, develop cracks. You CAN (I have) repair holes in
Imron-painted fabric, by carefully wet-sanding down to the dope
underlay, repairing the fabric with dope, up through silver, wet-sanding
it after each coat (except the last silver coat).

Use an airbrush for touchup, then, after about a week, carefully
wet-sand (#400, #600, #1200, #2000 with a lot of water), then apply 3M
Finesse-It, then Pefeect-It, using a power buffer. You can also take out
sags and runs this way. After you are done, the finish should look as
good as new. This method also eliminates orange peel, so the Imron job
looks like hand-rubbed dope or lacquer.

Would I use Imron on a fresh fabric job? No -- I would use a lot of thin
coats of colored dope, sanding between coats.