Ram air assist

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th 03, 05:58 PM
Rich S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

It probably wouldn't be enough to push the gas half the height of the
tank unless you were really moving.

"Let me explain further", he says; while wondering why it is assumed that
*all* planes carry their fuel in the wings.

The Emeraude - a low wing aircraft - carries it's fuel in a nose tank. They
can be configured for gravity feed. Mine has two fuel pumps plumbed in
series, one electrical and one mechanical. These pumps add restriction to
free fuel flow due to the check valves. In the event of vapor lock (can
happen) or multiple pump failure (unlikely), gravity feed will not be
adequate to overcome the flow restriction.

Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, who enjoys breathing, I am eyeing
the system and trying to improve it where possible. Many aircraft with
fuselage (nose) tanks have ram air inlets in their tank caps. My cap is not
vented. The tank has a vent line which exits through the fuselage behind the
wing.

I am not concerned with multiple tanks (I do have a rear aux tank, but
ignore that. They are not interconnected), So, may I repeat the original
question?

"The inlet area of the scoop is .84 in². There will be three 3/8" OD
aluminum tubes inside the scoop through which the air will flow. Two of them
are the vents for the front and rear tanks, while the third is the drain
tube for the rear tank fill. (There is a fuel door on the top of the
fuselage for the rear tank. The tube is intended to drain any liquid such as
rainwater or fuel overflow from the area inside the door.) Any air entering
the third tube will exit around the fuel door with only the friction loss
from the tube to restrict flow."

Thanks,
Rich