Archer Cowl needs work - Advice?

Old February 17th 05, 02:32 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:16:21 -0500, Corky Scott
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:19:39 -0600, "James M. Knox"
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote in
m:

to get a smooth outer layer I used a paste of resin and johnsons baby
powder (talc) and squeegee'd this on to fill the weave but not much
more than that.

Run that one by me one more time? I haven't heard of this trick.

Most people use something like microballoons mixed with the resin to
create a sandable finish.

Corky Scott

thats it.

I just checked the ingredients to the baby powder.
talc, fragrance.

sometimes I just do it for the fragrance :-)
smells great while sanding it back.
Stealth Pilot
Old February 17th 05, 04:31 PM
George Patterson

Stealth Pilot wrote:

I just checked the ingredients to the baby powder.
talc, fragrance.

sometimes I just do it for the fragrance :-)
smells great while sanding it back.

Wear a dust mask. They took talc out of sheet rock compound because of health
concerns over people breathing the dust.

George Patterson
He who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in
no other way.
Old February 17th 05, 04:45 PM
Ron Natalie

George Patterson wrote:

Wear a dust mask. They took talc out of sheet rock compound because of health
concerns over people breathing the dust.

They still put talc in drywall. What they are careful now about is making
sure it's not contaminated with asbestos (much mined talc contains it).

NIOSH recommends a mask anyhow. Just about any of the silicate's dust
is bad to breath in quantity.
Old February 17th 05, 05:32 PM
George Patterson

Gene Kearns wrote:

I thought drywall was principally gypsum and quartz.....

Drywall is gypsum plaster between two layers of thick paper. The
taping/finishing compound is something else. Just read the label on the USG
stuff I use. Limestone, water, talc (Ron's right, as usual), mica, and vinyl
acetate polymer.

The reason I thought the talc had been removed is that in the mid-80s the cans
used to have a warning label that the compound contained talc. The label
disappeared in the 90s, so I thought the talc was gone too.

Old February 18th 05, 01:40 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

Drywall is gypsum plaster between two layers of thick paper. The
taping/finishing compound is something else. Just read the label on the

USG
stuff I use. Limestone, water, talc (Ron's right, as usual), mica, and

vinyl
acetate polymer.

It is primarily gypsum, with very small percentages of the other stuff.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 18th 05, 03:47 PM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote

Drywall is gypsum plaster between two layers of thick paper. The
taping/finishing compound is something else. Just read the label on the

USG
stuff I use. Limestone, water, talc (Ron's right, as usual), mica, and

vinyl
acetate polymer.

It is primarily gypsum, with very small percentages of the other stuff.

Then it's interesting that gypsum does not appear in the ingredients list.

Old February 18th 05, 09:11 PM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

Then it's interesting that gypsum does not appear in the ingredients list.

George Patterson

That *is*interesting, since I have been to a plant where the stuff is mined,
separated from the rock, and baked, mixed and formed into the sheetrock. I
have no explanation.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 19th 05, 12:21 AM
UltraJohn

Morgans wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote

Then it's interesting that gypsum does not appear in the ingredients
list.

George Patterson

That *is*interesting, since I have been to a plant where the stuff is
mined,
separated from the rock, and baked, mixed and formed into the sheetrock.
I have no explanation.

Isn't gypsum = to limestone, water and talc ?
John

Old February 19th 05, 01:58 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote

Then it's interesting that gypsum does not appear in the ingredients list.

George Patterson

That *is*interesting, since I have been to a plant where the stuff is mined,
separated from the rock, and baked, mixed and formed into the sheetrock. I
have no explanation.

You *do* realize that we are talking about joint compound, not sheet rock?

Old February 19th 05, 06:26 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

You *do* realize that we are talking about joint compound, not sheet rock?

George Patterson

Uhh, no. *That* could be the explanation! Somewhere I missed that.
--
Jim in NC