Using Balsa wood

Old December 6th 03, 09:11 PM
Lou Parker

Default Using Balsa wood

In many area's on my wood structure it calls for a filler. Usually
spruce, but for no other reason but to fill a gap. These are not
structural in the least, only to fill (i.e. on top of the spar a 1/4"
strip of wood to keep the plywood skin from saging in between the wing
ribs). Has anyone used Balsa wood to accomplish this to save on
weight. There seems to be alot of little areas like this in my plans.
Lou
Old December 6th 03, 10:17 PM
Rich S.

"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
In many area's on my wood structure it calls for a filler. Usually
spruce, but for no other reason but to fill a gap. These are not
structural in the least, only to fill (i.e. on top of the spar a 1/4"
strip of wood to keep the plywood skin from saging in between the wing
ribs). Has anyone used Balsa wood to accomplish this to save on
weight. There seems to be alot of little areas like this in my plans.

The only place I used balsa was on the fairing to shape the back of the nav
light housings on the wing tips. While every ounce counts, is there really
that much cubic volume where the difference between spruce and balsa would
add up to a significant amount (on the cheeseburger scale)?

Rich S.

Old December 6th 03, 10:38 PM
sean trost

Hi Lou,
I am currently in the process of rebuilding a Jurca Mj-5 that has balsa
as a filler in many areas such as the firewall, some areas in the
fuselage and the wingtips and elevator tips are also balsa. The
condition of the balsa after 15 years is just abysmal. I would go with
polyeurathane foam or spruce.
all the best
Sean Trost

Old December 7th 03, 12:54 AM
Vaughn

"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
In many area's on my wood structure it calls for a filler. Usually
spruce, but for no other reason but to fill a gap. These are not
structural in the least, only to fill (i.e. on top of the spar a 1/4"
strip of wood to keep the plywood skin from saging in between the wing
ribs). Has anyone used Balsa wood to accomplish this to save on
weight.

Some early fiberglass gliders use balsa as a filling in the wings and
mildew is an issue. I think that there is a procedure to chemically treat
the balsa inside the wing to kill it.

Vaughn

Old December 7th 03, 01:39 AM
Nolaminar

Oldest fiberglass aircraft date from 1957. German made sailplanes and they used
balsa core and have had very few problems.
A fw of thsesl of these same older designs are still flying and have had
minimal problems if properly cared for and sealed properly...just as in any
wood aircraft.
GA
Old December 7th 03, 01:58 AM
frank

Wouldn't the spruce fillers act as a lamination on the spar caps?
Old December 7th 03, 10:23 PM
Martin Morgan

frank wrote:
Wouldn't the spruce fillers act as a lamination on the spar caps?

Yes but only where they are attached. Since "between the ribs" was
mentioned I'd say there was no benefit.

However, if the plywood skin is handling any loads eg. torque loads,
then the balsa may be a problem!!

Balsa is used in the Knight Twister (cantilever biplane). It has a
plywood torque box (probably a better term here), and uses the balsa to
fill in the leading edge and tips.

So yes, balsa (or foam) can be used in some places for lighter
structures. But I'd be wary of using it where it attaches two stronger
materials..

Regards

Martin Morgan
Old December 8th 03, 01:00 PM
Lou Parker

Martin Morgan wrote in message . com.au...
frank wrote:
Wouldn't the spruce fillers act as a lamination on the spar caps?

Yes but only where they are attached. Since "between the ribs" was
mentioned I'd say there was no benefit.

However, if the plywood skin is handling any loads eg. torque loads,
then the balsa may be a problem!!

Balsa is used in the Knight Twister (cantilever biplane). It has a
plywood torque box (probably a better term here), and uses the balsa to
fill in the leading edge and tips.

So yes, balsa (or foam) can be used in some places for lighter
structures. But I'd be wary of using it where it attaches two stronger
materials..

Regards

Yes, part of it calls for in between the ribs on the spars for a
filler. That is the front and back of the main spar and across the
rear spar as a filler. Also on the trailing edge of the flaps,
ailerons, and elevator control, (lets see if I can explain this) where
the trailing edge meets the structural pieces. On top of these areas
plywood will be glued, and then Dacron. At the part where the trailing
edge meets the structural pieces, it calls for a 45 deg. filler to
help round out the plywood. Now, have I confused everyone, or just
a few?
Lou
Martin Morgan