Sparrowhawk Ultralight

Old June 7th 05, 03:41 AM

Default Sparrowhawk Ultralight

Can someone who has flown a Sparrowhawk give their impression of the
AC. What does it do well? Can you really compare this sailplane to a 15
meter or any current sailplane? Can it be a serious cross country flier?

Old June 7th 05, 05:17 PM

"Yes, it's a serious cross country flier. As evidence, here's a
marketing blurb from the manufacturers web site."

Old June 8th 05, 05:15 PM

Eric

It's more of a marketing blurb than an actual account of what happened
at an event.

some people would consider it a bit misleading to say that on May 14 a
sparrowhawk flew the longest distance of the crystal squadron. While
failing to also say that the sparrowhawk was the only glider of the
crystal squadron to fly xc from crystal that day!

Hang gliders have flown diamond distance, so they should be considered
serious cross
country fliers also.

Old June 8th 05, 06:37 PM
For Example John Smith

All aircraft have a performance envelope. Some pilots can "fill" the
performance envelope of their aircraft. Most can't. The real question
aircraft purchasers need to ask is "Will I be happy with the aircraft's
performance at the level to which I can 'fill' its performance envelope?"

oups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 10:27 PM

Perhaps I should have provided a little more information about what I
know, and what I want.
I have read the Sparrowhawk web site. From what I see the sailplane
looks good. Easy to assemble, cores thermals well, good climb
performance. Nice performance all around, about the same as a Ka 6E or
Libelle 201. One thing still has me wondering. Flying in windy
conditions, especially in the landing phase. With a low gross weight
(half the above ships) won't you get blown around like a leaf ? Is
there enough penetration to be an effective cross country plane in the
hands of an average pilot.

Now what I want...... Fun to fly !!! Easy to assemble / disassemble
(hate having to ask two or three folks for help). Easy to repair. Easy
to get parts / upgrades. The annual is not an issue, nor is
registartion or licensing. Low maintenance finish. And last good resale
value ( same as good performance).

Old June 9th 05, 01:19 AM
COLIN LAMB

"With a low gross weight (half the above ships) won't you get blown around
like a leaf ?"

Weight alone has nothing to do with getting blown around like a leaf. A
hawk is very light but does not get blown around. Wing loading is a major
factor. Piper Cubs get blown around, because they have light wing loading.

It is good to take a test flight if you are considering one. Perhaps the
key word you are looking for is balance. Few ships do everything well in a
conveneint package.

The information Eric presented shows that the aircraft can do serious cross
country - which is the question asked. Whether it is adequate to meet your
demands is a personal question. Knowing the weight is irrelevant to the
question asked of whether it gets blown around like a leaf. A bolwing ball
weighs only 10 pounds ( or so, just a wild guess), but does not blow around
like a leaf.

Colin

Old June 9th 05, 06:28 AM
Eric Greenwell

Tim.Ward wrote:

Well, while the weight is low, the wing is small, so the wing loading
is probably similar to a 1-26.

It's actually much higher than a 1-26. The 1-26 is rated at 3.6
pounds/sq ft; the SparrowHawk is typically 5 to 6 pounds/sq ft. This
makes a big difference! This wing loading is about the same as Russia
AC-4, which is similar in performance.

As to resale price, that's a tougher one, because I have not seen one
offered on the used market. I find that interesting, because I seem to
remember that nearly as soon as the Russias and PW5s became available
new, they became available used.

Tim Ward

Eric Greenwell
Washington State