Ok, what about the BD5

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Whome?

Default Ok, what about the BD5

Ok, we have roasted the Mini 500, how about the BD5?

First things first, forget the jet. So few people could ever afford such a
thing it hardly seems viable from the get-go. But why has such a popular
design (on paper) found so little success? Thousands of people instantly fell
in love with it immediatley when it was introduced in what, the late 1060s.
So after 45 years or so, and so many parts floating around, what has so
greatly hampered this little birds sucess?

Looking back with my limited aviation experience, and yes I was there. I
visited Newton Kansas in the early 70s, met Jim Bede, and sat in one of the
completed prototypes in the show room floor. But the only thing that seems
apparent to my inexperience is the lack of a reliable piston power plant, due
to weight and power restrictions - and it's a VERY high performance aircraft,
that was gobbled up by a lot of low performance pilots.

Some time around 1980 or so, I saw and airshow demonstration by the Coor's
Silver Bullet, and the craft performed some amazing manuvers. So will this
airframe fly well if properly powered? Is there any way to make one a
workable craft if a pilot is qualified for such a high performance ship?

Let's see how many people can respond with a fair discussion, and ignore
Juan's bias of coarse, and examine the real reason this bird has never
soared.

--
Whome?