DC-3/C-47 Limit Load Factor

Old June 26th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default DC-3/C-47 Limit Load Factor

Anyone know what they are? Any idea where to look to find the info?

I've looked at the TDC and didn't see it listed.

TIA
Old June 27th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Dale wrote:

Anyone know what they are? Any idea where to look to find the info?

I've looked at the TDC and didn't see it listed.

TIA

Dale,

Talked to a guy who has an old Army Flight Manual, and one of Warren
Woods', too. He described a graph in the Army book that showed a limit
of 3.0 G's at 26000 lbs, sloping to 2.5 G's at 30600 lbs, and then
extending into the "caution" zone up to about 36000 lbs.

The Woods manual listed several configurations, from flaps 0 to flaps
45, and various angles of attack. Basically, these values ranged from
+/- 2.83 G's, down to +0.44 G's, all at 26900 lbs.

These values seem consistant with CAR 4b, which it was probably
certified under. 4b states a minimum of 2.5 Gs.

I suspect these figures are in reality *very* conservative, as no one
I've ever talked to has heard of a -3 falling out of the sky due to load
induced structural failure.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 27th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

Talked to a guy who has an old Army Flight Manual, and one of Warren
Woods', too. He described a graph in the Army book that showed a limit
of 3.0 G's at 26000 lbs, sloping to 2.5 G's at 30600 lbs, and then
extending into the "caution" zone up to about 36000 lbs.

The Woods manual listed several configurations, from flaps 0 to flaps
45, and various angles of attack. Basically, these values ranged from
+/- 2.83 G's, down to +0.44 G's, all at 26900 lbs.

These values seem consistant with CAR 4b, which it was probably
certified under. 4b states a minimum of 2.5 Gs.

I suspect these figures are in reality *very* conservative, as no one
I've ever talked to has heard of a -3 falling out of the sky due to load
induced structural failure.

Thanks Scott!

Yeah, sounds conservative to me..especially after seeing the way they're
built. That gives me a start though.

Thanks again.
Old June 27th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

I suspect these figures are in reality *very* conservative, as no one
I've ever talked to has heard of a -3 falling out of the sky due to load
induced structural failure.

During the Berlin Airlift, a C-47 took off with a full load of
X sheets of Perforated Aluminum Planking, for extending the destination
runway.

Turned out it was X sheets, but Perforated STEEL Planking....
and it still flew..
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 28th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

David Lesher wrote:
During the Berlin Airlift, a C-47 took off with a full load of
X sheets of Perforated Aluminum Planking, for extending the destination
runway.

Turned out it was X sheets, but Perforated STEEL Planking....
and it still flew..

I don't think you can get a C-47 overgross. I do know you can get it
out of cg. I've seen one spin. It's a fascinating sight.

Michael

Old June 28th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Michael" wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
During the Berlin Airlift, a C-47 took off with a full load of
X sheets of Perforated Aluminum Planking, for extending the destination
runway.

Turned out it was X sheets, but Perforated STEEL Planking....
and it still flew..

I don't think you can get a C-47 overgross. I do know you can get it
out of cg. I've seen one spin. It's a fascinating sight.

Michael

From the 'outside' maybe...I'd use another word to describe the
view from the 'inside...'
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old July 2nd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Stache

Dale,

I have placed all the CAR's on my web site: http://www.stacheair.com/
CAR-4 has the limitations and is pretty close to Part 25. The type
certificate data sheet calls Army Technical Orders 01-40NC-82 and
01-40NC-86, which should have the limit load requirement.

You can contact Technology Transition Office Wright Patterson AFB
(800)203-6451 who can track down the correct manual to give the load
limits. I have use this office on several projects I have worked on.

Stache