Rust in tight places

Old February 5th 09, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
mhorowit

Default Rust in tight places

I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike
Old February 5th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Feb 5, 5:39*am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
any better results any other way.

Ben
Old February 5th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

stol wrote:
On Feb 5, 5:39 am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
any better results any other way.

Ben

I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
sandblasting was forbidden.

Charles
Old February 6th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Feb 5, 4:48*pm, Charles Vincent wrote:
stol wrote:
On Feb 5, 5:39 am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

get a finer grade of *blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
any better results any other way.

Ben

I think he meant that he was in a location i.e. hanger where
sandblasting was forbidden.

Charles- Hide quoted text -

That now does make sense but if the rust is slight there are small,
portable sandblasters that would work using the smallest compressors..

Old February 6th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

stol wrote:
[...]

The question is rust converter chemicals in tight places.

Old February 6th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

stol wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------

The question is rust converter chemicals in tight places.- Hide quoted text -

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.
Old February 6th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"stol" wrote in message

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Old February 6th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"mhorowit" wrote in message
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

Do you have a specific brand in mind?

I have never used one on 4130, and never heard of one used on aircraft, but
I have had good luck on automotive applications.

Old February 6th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:43:08 -0800 (PST), stol
wrote:

On Feb 5, 5:39Â*am, mhorowit wrote:
I'm removing surface rust on a 4130 fuselage prior to priming.

Assume I'm in a place where I can't use my sandblaster.
I need to get into the tight places of a cluster to remove surface
rust.
I can get pretty deep in the cluster with emery cloth, but there is
the last 1/8".

There are rust converter chemicals on the market. Is it OK for me to
use
a rust converter prior to priming or am I fooling myself? - Mike

get a finer grade of blasting media.. I can't see how you could get
any better results any other way.

Ben

use a brass wire brush and Phosphoric acid - MetalPrep or Water
Softener Resin Cleaner - same stuff at about 1/4 the price.
Old February 6th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:49:47 -0600, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

"stol" wrote in message

Rust converters not properly and completely flushed will corrode the
parent metal.. I guess I should have mentioned that first but I did
assume that is a no brainer.

My bad.

over and out.

Not all brands require a flush. Some convert surface rust to a hard dark
grey coating that seems to be an excellent sealer.

Phosphoric Acid (Metal Prep) does just that - used as an "etch" in
auto-body work to give the primer some "tooth" as well as getting rid
of any minor surface "flask\h" rust. Makes Iron Phosphate.

Rust Baver 2 acroman Aviation Photos 0 August 19th 07 04:00 PM
Rust Flying Service Beaver - 1 acroman Aviation Photos 0 August 19th 07 03:59 PM
Shaking off the Rust john smith Piloting 22 March 1st 07 12:36 AM
Fly tight for tight bomb patterns on the ground. ArtKramr Military Aviation 120 August 30th 04 08:42 AM
Rust inhibitor? Steve Thomas Home Built 10 August 30th 03 09:34 PM