A question on reversers

Old June 24th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A question on reversers

If you float in above the threshold a fair bit higher than Vref, is it
acceptable technique to chance the reverser to preclude landing too far
down the runway?

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

Old June 24th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No

Vref is 1.3 Vso and even at higher speed float is not a real
problem, you fly the pitch attitude to a firm landing and
deploy the spoilers. Most jet aircraft have a nose down,
negative wing angle when the nose wheel is on the surface.
You can "plant" a jet and keep it on the ground without the
problem of ballooning off the ground that most light
aircraft encounter.

If you are out of the proper position, the proper procedure
is a go-around.

BTW, it seems you are trying to learn about paining aircraft
(decoy) and how to "speak" pilot, is there any ulterior
motive such as passing a security check with a stolen
airplane painted away from a professional shop and flown by
a crew that isn't qualified?

oups.com...

Old June 24th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you float in above the threshold a fair bit higher than Vref, is it
acceptable technique to chance the reverser to preclude landing too far
down the runway?

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

I just open the door and throw out the anchor. Works best on soft grass
runways.

Old June 24th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave Stadt wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

If you float in above the threshold a fair bit higher than Vref, is it
acceptable technique to chance the reverser to preclude landing too far
down the runway?

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

I just open the door and throw out the anchor. Works best on soft grass
runways.

That is called a soft-field landing, right? You should use it on all
grass strips, not just the soft ones. Because you never know when one
may be soft, so just assume that and always use the anchor. Worst case
is that the grass runway is hard and it just bounces along behind you.
No hard as long as it doesn't wrap around the tail. :-)
Old June 24th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message

If you float in above the threshold a fair bit higher than Vref, is it
acceptable technique to chance the reverser to preclude landing too far
down the runway?

It is bad technique to "chance" anything. Jim is right in that if you're
out of position for landing a miss should be your first consideration.

I can't speak for all transports, but I seem to recall on the 727 and 747
there are lockouts that prevent reverse actuation in flight. Not 100% sure
of the physical lockout on the 727, and too lazy right now to look it up.
:-) I do recall that inflight reverser use was possible on at least some
models of the DC8.

In any event, I wouldn't consider use of reverse immediately before landing
a good idea.

Old June 24th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I don't know what color your skin is and don't really care
about your skin. But I was raising the issue since you have
asked questions about many subjects and topics that could
fit a profile of a person wanting to bad things. The
answers to those questions can be harmless as can the
questions. Yes, 9/11 has changed the way pilots are seen
and the way pilots look at others. We used to be a sort of
"band of brothers" and now we have to wear a name badge,
neckstraps with ID cards, and have the color of the day on
the lapel.

I'm pretty sure that the newsgroups are monitored and I was
just pointing out that the pattern of your questions could
come to the attention of some agency.

No offense was intended.

Jim
wrote in message
oups.com...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|

| BTW, it seems you are trying to learn about paining
aircraft (decoy) and how to "speak"
| pilot, is there any ulterior motive such as passing a
security check with a stolen
| airplane painted away from a professional shop and flown
by a crew that isn't qualified?

| No way!
|
| It seems like post 9/11, to even want to know about
aviation isn't the
| done thing, and certainly not if you've dark skin.
Unfortunate... but I
| don't hold out against you, Jim. I've had worse
insinuations here on

Old June 24th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message ...
On 24 Jun 2006 03:48:13 -0700, wrote:

having the buckets out while flying is a RBT (really bad thing), but
I'm sure there are some exceptions out there.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...craft/c-17.htm

TC

Yup, you found it. The C-17 thrust reversers are certified as flight controls.

Old June 24th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The props on the King Air will reverse in-flight as can the
Pilatus bushplane. There can be some interesting
aerodynamic effects. But very few recreational airplanes
have any sort of reverse. But I agree, jets require the
squat switch (unless there is a malfunction) to deploy
reverse.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

wrote:

| If you float in above the threshold a fair bit higher
than Vref, is it
| acceptable technique to chance the reverser to preclude
landing too far
| down the runway?
|
| I've only allegedly worked on couple of different types of
buckets,
| all on biz-jets and they have had one thing in common.
|
| The aircraft must have a weight-on-wheels signal present
somewhere in
| the logic circuit before the reversers will unlock or
deploy.

| Inflight, if a not-locked condition is detected, the
reversers are
| hydraulically driven to the stowed position and pressure
is maintained
| holding them there until the not-locked condition goes
away.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/pre...week5_sta.html

Old June 24th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Gaquin wrote:

I can't speak for all transports, but I seem to recall on the 727 and 747
there are lockouts that prevent reverse actuation in flight. Not 100% sure
of the physical lockout on the 727, and too lazy right now to look it up.
:-) I do recall that inflight reverser use was possible on at least some
models of the DC8.

John, I'm sure the Thailand Air Lauda A320 crash of about 10 years ago
has escaped your attention

The pilots somehow accidentally deployed the reversers on finals and
couldn't recover the craft

Ramapriya

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM