Filing with a STAR

Old October 13th 04, 02:57 PM
Peter R.

Paul Tomblin ) wrote:

I'm going to be flying from ROC to BAF weekend after next. Just plugging
the end points into Aeroplanner gives me a nice simple route V2 ALB V146,
but I see that BAF has a STAR, SWEDE ONE. It's a bit longer than the
simple route, and since I've never flown that direction I don't know if I
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE?

Snip

Having flown most of my filed IFR flights in the Northeast US, I have
discovered that the simplest method when filing to an unfamiliar airport
is to file whatever flight plan I want, sans STAR or DPs.

If ATC needs me to fly a STAR and/or a different route, they will
include it in the clearance. At that point, I note it in my growing
list of "real preferred IFR routes" notebook for next time, when my goal
is to receive a "Cleared to XXX as filed."

--
Peter

Old October 15th 04, 05:48 PM
Robert M. Gary

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
In a previous article, "Brad Salai" said:
I'm still studying for the rating, so I've never done this, but can't you
just say "no SIDS, no STARS" in the remarks, and they can't give it to you.

If they want you along the STAR, then all this will mean is that you will
have to copy and read back a full route clearance (which will look
suspiciously like the textual description of the STAR) instead of the name
of the STAR.

I've never understood why anybody would want to say "no SIDS, no STARS"
(or more correctly now, "no DPs, no STARS"?) unless they want practice
copying and reading back full route clearances.

They used to cost extra.

-Robert
Old October 16th 04, 03:24 AM
Andrew Sarangan

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in news:cke6l8$nru$1
@allhats.xcski.com:

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
should file what I want and expect them to reroute me along SWEDE ONE, or
should I just admit the inevitable and file SWEDE ONE? If I do that, how
do you put it in a flight plan? Is it V2 SYR V433 RKA RKA.SWEDE1?

Oh, and I just noticed the note for STELA that says "Expect to cross at
11,000". I don't think I want to climb that high.

You can always say unable to climb to 11,000, but for lost comm purposes if
you are not prepared to climb that high, don't file the STAR. What I would
do is file ROC V2 ALB V130 BDL. This route is almost exactly the same as
the STAR.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 16th 04, 04:23 AM
Teacherjh

You can always say unable to climb to 11,000, but for lost comm purposes if
you are not prepared to climb that high, don't file the STAR.

Or, file the STAR, but make clear when you read back your clearance what
altitude you will climb to upon lost comm. Get them to confirm. You only fall
back on the flight plan absent a clearance.

Jose