i think I flew into class c airspace accidentally withoutestablishing communication

Old January 26th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default i think I flew into class c airspace accidentally withoutestablishing communication

I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night. I do appreciate all the options you
all have laid out for me. I will fill out the NASA form immediately.
And why on Earth would someone put my name in the thread? That just
seems uncalled for.
Old January 26th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night. I do appreciate all the options you
all have laid out for me. I will fill out the NASA form immediately.
And why on Earth would someone put my name in the thread? That just
seems uncalled for.

It WAS uncalled for, and could in fact actually be a clearly defined
detrimental act to flight safety.

If some pilot out here feels after reading that post that they can't
report these things in good faith, someone may actually be killed down
the line because of what that poster did.
I can't condemn that kind of response enough. When new pilots try and do
things right after making an in-flight error, the very least the
community can do is to back that pilot's behavior to the fullest.
I sincerely hope that you realize you have the backing of the vast
majority of pilots here.
Go ahead and file the report, forget what this single poster did, and
learn from the error.
I have no doubt whatsoever that a new pilot who, as you have done by
asking for advice on a matter like this, will gain from the experience
and be a better pilot in the future. By taking the action you have, you
have made flying safer for all of us, and I commend what you are doing.

Best of luck to you.
Dudley Henriques

Old January 26th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 26, 11:38*am, wrote:
I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. *I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night.

It strikes me that you really don't know whether or not you busted
Class C. If I was you I would try to find out for sure. If you
didn't enter Class C, then you are in the clear on this incident.

Phil
Old January 26th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 26, 10:20*am, Al Borowski wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:10 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Dear [name omitted[

Did you really have to put his full name here, in cleartext?

Now anyone using google can search his name and find this thread. It
was a serious stuffup, but that was uncalled for.

Al.

I'm fairly new to this RAP and I've already learned that Larry is an
idiot who likes to get into other people's business.

Wil
Old January 26th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Jan 26, 12:50*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
It WAS uncalled for, and could in fact actually be a clearly defined
detrimental act to flight safety.

If some pilot out here feels after reading that post that they can't
report these things in good faith, someone may actually be killed down
the line because of what that poster did.
I can't condemn that kind of response enough. When new pilots try and do.

Dudley,

Thank you so much for speaking out strongly against this
"snitching" behavior. I have learned so much about flight safety from
reading "I learned about flying from that" type of articles, NASA
Callback reports and postings such as that of Rfaulki. I can not
agree more with your statements.

Best regards,

Hai Longworth
Permanent Student Pilot
Old January 26th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. *I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night. *I do appreciate all the options you
all have laid out for me. *I will fill out the NASA form immediately.
And why on Earth would someone put my name in the thread? *That just
seems uncalled for.

It WAS uncalled for, and could in fact actually be a clearly defined
detrimental act to flight safety.

I agree that the poster's full name should not have been disclosed--
especially in all caps, as if to rub it in.

On the other hand, it's of no practical consequence. Anyone looking at
the email address would guess that the poster's name is R. Faulkiner,
and the FAA online database--which is presumably where Larry looked up
his information--lists only two such pilots, the other of whom has a
commercial certificate. But the FAA doesn't mine r.a.p. in search of
violations, and filing an ASRS form will provide protection in any
event.

I'm still a little concerned that the poster might not realize that he
didn't just make an isolated mistake of possibly busting Class C, but
rather made a few ongoing mistakes leading up to that--failing to
verify his heading every minute or so (off by 45 degrees until way off
course), following the line on the GPS screen instead of actively
navigating, and failing to adequately brief and supervise his
passenger. If this was his first night XC without an instructor, it
should probably have been solo rather than taking on the extra
responsibility and distraction of a passenger. I offer these comments
not as disparagements, but as constructive criticisms. It just seems
like a generally higher degree of caution and conservative decision-
making may be called for, to avoid getting in over your head.

Again, good luck!
Old January 26th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
[...]

I appreciate your criticism and I do realize that I made a lot of
mistakes from the moment I took off. This experience made me more
aware of my responsibilities as a PIC, and I will be a lot more
prepared from now on when I fly.
Old January 26th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Jan 27, 6:38*am, wrote:
I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. *I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night. *I do appreciate all the options you
all have laid out for me. *I will fill out the NASA form immediately.
And why on Earth would someone put my name in the thread? *That just
seems uncalled for.

I'm not yet a pilot, but it sounds like you were acting as if you were
flying IFR -how else could you be thrown off course by the GPS? I've
not done my night rating work but I've been told that flying VFR at
night requires constant attention to lights, compass heading(s)/
bearings and gloomy shadows to know your position. I think the GPS
should be considered to be only an aid for VFR pilots, not the primary
navigation tool (which is eyes, brain and chart) and if I am right in
my student pilot opinion, the autopilot should be slaved to compass
and position checked by GPS -not dictated by GPS (until you are IFR).
I would welcome more experienced pilots to comment on this -should a
VFR pilot slave the autopilot to GPS or compass?

You started a good thread here and it's great that you admit your
mistake for us to learn from it.

Cheers