Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 23rd 05, 12:17 AM
Keith W

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who
had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

Against all the odds he's still very much alive and well and
gives frequent talks on his career.

Keith

Old March 23rd 05, 01:24 AM
vincent p. norris

I know one person with just one trap. Major (USAF) Ron Markey. USS
Midway, circa 1970 in an S-2 with me in the right seat. Illegal but
factual. Now it can be told.

Did he shoot the approach, and if so, without any FCLPs? Or did you do
it from the right seat?

The ball had replaced the paddles by then, right?

vince
Old March 23rd 05, 03:07 AM
Gord Beaman

"Red Rider" wrote:

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Ogden Johnson III writes:

[Does anybody in the US military still get paid with checks [much
less {gasp!!!!!!} cash] nowadays, or has DoD gone mandatory
direct deposit? Saw on a recent cable show on carriers that all
their crew's cash comes out of an ATM.]

Funny that you should bring that up... I've just been working on a
piece of that, actually. It's more than just ATMs - Some ships are
part of NavyCash, which reduces the demand for hard money by
substituting programmable "Smart Cards" for geedunks & stamps & Mess
Dues and such. You can transfer funds from your Ship's Account, using
something like an ATM, and use the card in the Coke Machines & such.
The accounting for the DISBOs is a lot easier, and so are the
logistics. It seems that when they empty the cash boxes in the Coke
Machines every month, they're hauling about 1,000# of quarters around
the ship. (For a CV or LPH-sized ship). So, anyway, the effort is
there to eliminate hard cash on ships. (The cards can also be used as
Debit Cards ashore).

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions

Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid in
cash every other Friday?

As far as the greatest number of traps, I wonder who had the most combat
traps? For the life of me (getting old I guess) I can't remember the name of
the A-4 jock from Vietnam era who had something like 750 "green ink" entries
in his log book. Heck I think he retired as an admiral too.

Red Rider

Well yes, I certainly do...I remember that they'd set up ropes on
stanchions leading up to a table set out on the hangar floor
where the 'Paymaster' (usually a captain) sat with his helpers
(two or three airmen, corporals usually) with ledgers etc, and a
couple of Military Police overlooking all and sundry.

We'd march smartly the last few feet, salute, state our name rank
and serial number, be presented with our stipend (in cash of
course) sign for it, salute and bog off smartly. T'was called
'Pay Parade' and everyone loved it. Been a long time I must
admit...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Keith W" writes:

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lynn in StLou wrote:
W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier

trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

That has a ring to it -- IIRC, it was a RN fella by the name of Brown.

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who
had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

For values of "very early history equalling" "the first bloke to do
it".

Old March 23rd 05, 01:00 PM
Jim

Gord Beaman wrote:

Well yes, I certainly do...I remember that they'd set up ropes on
stanchions leading up to a table set out on the hangar floor
where the 'Paymaster' (usually a captain) sat with his helpers
(two or three airmen, corporals usually) with ledgers etc, and a
couple of Military Police overlooking all and sundry.

We'd march smartly the last few feet, salute, state our name rank
and serial number, be presented with our stipend (in cash of
course) sign for it, salute and bog off smartly. T'was called
'Pay Parade' and everyone loved it. Been a long time I must
admit...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Can't forget a Navy variation of this. Sitting at the table in the
middle were the corpsmen. After getting the flu shot you got your pay!

Old March 23rd 05, 02:29 PM
Bob McKellar

"Jim" wrote in message
Gord Beaman wrote:

Well yes, I certainly do...I remember that they'd set up ropes on
stanchions leading up to a table set out on the hangar floor
where the 'Paymaster' (usually a captain) sat with his helpers
(two or three airmen, corporals usually) with ledgers etc, and a
couple of Military Police overlooking all and sundry. We'd march smartly
the last few feet, salute, state our name rank
and serial number, be presented with our stipend (in cash of
course) sign for it, salute and bog off smartly. T'was called
'Pay Parade' and everyone loved it. Been a long time I must
admit...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Can't forget a Navy variation of this. Sitting at the table in the middle
were the corpsmen. After getting the flu shot you got your pay!

And just around the corner in the passageway, the loan sharks and gamblers
collecting from their victims.

Bob McKellar, actual former disbursing officer from the days of cash

Old March 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
Guy Alcala

Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
"Keith W" writes:

Presumably that would be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown RN who

had a long career after WW2 as a test pilot during which
he flew not only most allied aircraft but also most of the
German and Soviet types as well as being involved in
the early history of flying jets off carriers and the development
of the angled flight deck.

For values of "very early history equalling" "the first bloke to do
it".

Land on too. A Vampire, IIRR. And then he did the Flexible deck trials. Oh,
and he was one of the very earliest qualified helo pilots in the RN, who did
a lot of early research on vortex ring state in the Sikorsky R-4. IIRR, he
and another RN pilot's initial instruction on flying helos consisted of being
handed the manual for the R-4 by a US Master Sergeant, who then smartly
retired to a safe distance. Come to think of it, ISTR that the other pilot
was Alan Bristow. Brown also deck-landed a P-39, just because he wanted to.
Oh, and he holds the record for flying the most different types of a/c, 487
(that was his total as of 1988). Honorary fellow of the SETP (boy, is that a
list of international aviation royalty, past and present. See:
http://www.setp.org/HTML/Personnel/Fellows.htm )

Fellow and past president of the Royal Aeronautical Society, etc. He's a
small man in physical stature, but not in any other way.

Guy

Old March 23rd 05, 04:42 PM
Red Rider

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Is there anyone (other than Vincent P. Norris) that remembers being paid

in
cash every other Friday?

Well, he doesn't remember it, either! I presume I was, while an
enlisted man; and I may have been, while a Midshipman in flight
training; it's just too long ago to remember.

I do recall getting exactly $21 for the first month I was in. Next
month, I got a "raise" to $50.

I do remember, just once, being Squadron Duty Officer on enlisted pay
day, and having to go to Wing, get a big bag of money, and pass it
out.

For the life of me (getting old I guess) I can't remember the name

Ha! Glad it ain't just me!

vince norris

Actually there is nothing wrong with out memories. We have just filled out
brains to capacity with more important things.

Red

Old March 23rd 05, 05:04 PM
Ken Duffey

Guy Alcala wrote:

Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
"Keith W" writes:

[...]

He gave a talk at a dinner I once attended - some fascinating tales he told.

Including the time he was testing the giant six-engined BV-222 flying
boat. He read the manuals (he spoke German) and familiarised himself
with the systems etc. He had some German flight engineers aboard.

The flight took place on a lake - and as the machine gathered speed, it
got onto the step and hurtled towards the edge of the lake.

As he tried to ease back on the stick, he found it would not budge - and
he was rapidly running out of lake.

Fortunately he was able to close the throttles - and bring the machine
to a halt.

It transpires that the Germans had tried to sabotage the flight - by
leaving the control locks in place !!

He checked everything himself after that.

He told us that the one aircraft he regretted never being able to fly
was the Messerschmitt Me-163. The British Air Ministry would not
sanction a test flight - because it was considered too dangerous!

Ken

Old March 23rd 05, 05:08 PM
Red Rider

"Jim" wrote in message
Gord Beaman wrote:

Well yes, I certainly do...I remember that they'd set up ropes on
stanchions leading up to a table set out on the hangar floor
where the 'Paymaster' (usually a captain) sat with his helpers
(two or three airmen, corporals usually) with ledgers etc, and a
couple of Military Police overlooking all and sundry.

We'd march smartly the last few feet, salute, state our name rank
and serial number, be presented with our stipend (in cash of
course) sign for it, salute and bog off smartly. T'was called
'Pay Parade' and everyone loved it. Been a long time I must
admit...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Can't forget a Navy variation of this. Sitting at the table in the
middle were the corpsmen. After getting the flu shot you got your pay!

You forgot about the guy selling Navy Relief Tickets, or the one collecting
for United Way or something else.

For something different. In late 65 I won an award of a ground tour (6mo's
training and 12 mo's in Vietnam) with the Marines in ANGLCO
(AirNavalGunfireLiaisonCompany). While training at Camp Lejeune NC, I
noticed something unique about their way of conducting a pay day. Of course
they had the standard pay officer, also the corpsman checking shot records,
pay guard, etc. but the 1st Sgt. was seated next to the pay officer.
Everytime a man that had a fine from NJP (Marines call it Office Hours) the
1st Sgt would announce the amount of the fine in a loud voice. The pay
officer would loudly count out the money to the Marine. Then the Marine had
to pay the fine to the 1st Sgt, who would then announce again in a loud
voice that he had received a payment of $XXX from "so-in-so". And that this
was whatever payment of whatever total fine that "so-in-so" had received for
his crime which was __________! But it wasn't over. The 1st Sgt would then
turn to the pay officer and announce that he had collected the fine for etc.
from "so-in-so" for doing "whatever" and would then announce that this was
payment X of X payments etc. Then the pay officer would tell the 1st Sgt
that on behalf of the Marine Corps, the Dept of the Navy, the Sec of
Defense, the President, and the people of the United States of America etc.
that he accepted payment X of X payments for the crime of X committed by
'so-in-so.

Everyone enjoyed the show, except the individual paying the fine.

Red