Question on Baron 58 prop control

Old November 30th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave[_1_]

Default Question on Baron 58 prop control

Hehe.. both good points!

But the way he talked about the experience, I think it was a bit more
than that!

He was an experienced pilot then, and continued to fly heavies for the
rest of his career.

But he remarked (after I asked him "what the H--- happened?") he
related the experience was more "real" than he could have
imagined...

He said this experience suspended the reality of the sim, only to
return after the "landing" and the instructor turned the lights on...

He already had the job....

Dave

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:54:52 GMT, A Lieberma
wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

Sims have their place. I picked a friend just after he went through a
"sim" session, (He was training in a new type, 737 I think)

He was a MESS! They had piled several failures on him, he had to
change his clothes, he was soaked, and actually shaking a bit, and
his voice was unsteady. Maybe a sim, but what they put him through
was "real" enough! (he passed)

Probably two factors that brought on the sweat factor (and realism).

A. It probably was a full motion sim (or sim where he sat in it rather
then in front of a computer)

B. He had a job riding on the outcome

Much different then sitting in front of a computer monitor PLAYING MSFS

Allen

Old November 30th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote

I know, but laptop drives aren't as much in the "virtually free"
category as normal-size HDs.

I see that USB hard driver are now available for .1 AMU's.

Amazing, to me!
--
Jim in NC
Old November 30th 06, 04:45 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

A real full motion flight sim can kill you. There are
reports of serious injuries and broken bones. I even know
of at least one simulator that ripped the mounting bolts out
of the concrete and really crashed.

Seat belts are not optional.

. 18...

Old November 30th 06, 01:21 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

A real full motion flight sim can kill you. There are
reports of serious injuries and broken bones.

So I've heard. But that is the result of poor design.

Old November 30th 06, 02:49 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kingfish

Jim Macklin wrote:
The Pilatus can be put in reverse in flight as can certain other planes.
But some airplanes that can be reversed in flight are not
safe to do so.

The PC12 POH warns against reversing pitch in-flight. My training
captain beat that into my head when I was first training in the
airplane. There are three situations when reverse should not be used
IIRC. In flight, when the engine is shut down, and ... dammit, can't
remeber the third... back to the books I go : )

Old November 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kingfish

Mxsmanic wrote:

To some extent, I think that people who have trouble taking simulation
seriously may also have trouble taking the real thing seriously. And
simulation also requires following certain rules and exercising a
certain amount of discipline; people who cannot do that for the
purposes of simulation may also have trouble doing it in other
situations ... including while flying a real plane. "Oh, I don't need
to listen to that controller--I know what I'm doing and he's just
following some stupid procedure."

OK, here's where your reality disconnect shows itself... I can't
imagine *any* pilot not taking "the real thing" seriously. True, some
may have attitudes that are more cavalier than they should, but anytime
you strap your butt into an airplane and slip the surly bonds you're
taking a risk. A measured risk maybe, but still a risk. There is no
100% guarantee that you & the airplane will make it back in one piece.
Good pilots manage this risk. In addition, NO pilot I've ever
instructed or talked to has EVER shown that attitude of disregarding
ATC. That kind of behavior will get you in deep shiite quickly.

Full-motion sims have an evil reputation, perhaps in part because the
instructors operating them seem to often have a sadistic streak. But
I think that pilots who have been through the wringer in a sim will
still agree that it's worth the trouble.

Training sim operators have a sadistic streak because they know that
failures, while somewhat rare, do happen and that the pilot must be
able to handle the aircraft with failed systems (sometimes multiple).
The lives of the paying customers in back depend on it. Try and
separate full motion sims from PC-based machines (technically they're
Flight Training Devices) one is a learning tool - the other (while it
has its uses) is essentially a toy.

Old November 30th 06, 03:11 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kingfish

Mxsmanic wrote:

However, turbofans don't work well at transonic and supersonic speeds,
although I understand that these problems have been fixed in recent
years. Likewise, they don't have significant advantages for low speed
flight like that of a small GA plane.

Turbofans work very well at transonic & SS speeds. The engines in the
F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35 (you get the idea) are turbofans (w/
afterburners). The F-22 engines are so efficient they allow supersonic
flight without the burners lit (supercruise) The difference is they are
low-bypass turbofans compared to the big high-bypass engines on
transport category aircraft - (Boeing, Airbus)

Turbines burn lotsa fuel at low altitudes and are most efficient at
high alts, which normally requires pressurization. Your typical GA
plane doesn't fly at high enough altitudes to get the most benefit from
turbine power.

Old November 30th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Barrie

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim Macklin wrote:
The Pilatus can be put in reverse in flight as can certain other planes.
But some airplanes that can be reversed in flight are not
safe to do so.

The PC12 POH warns against reversing pitch in-flight. My training
captain beat that into my head when I was first training in the
airplane. There are three situations when reverse should not be used
IIRC. In flight, when the engine is shut down, and ... dammit, can't
remeber the third... back to the books I go : )

When there's something behind you?

Barrie

Old November 30th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kingfish

Barrie wrote:

The PC12 POH warns against reversing pitch in-flight. My training
captain beat that into my head when I was first training in the
airplane. There are three situations when reverse should not be used
IIRC. In flight, when the engine is shut down, and ... dammit, can't
remeber the third... back to the books I go : )

When there's something behind you?

THAT'S IT!! Thanks Barrie : )

Old November 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
I even know
of at least one simulator that ripped the mounting bolts out
of the concrete and really crashed.

If I was "flying" that thing, I'd have to look at the event as some sort
of sign. G

Rodney Dangerfield in flight training!