A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SSA Sailplane Tracker



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 24th 16, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 558
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli
Ads
  #2  
Old April 24th 16, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

Same issue here. Windows 7 Home with both Firefox or IE. Neither would work.
  #3  
Old April 24th 16, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,384
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

Glideport.aero is working fine in Win8.1 and Win10 both with Firefox. Had to tell the home stereo (Win10) to accept the cookies, before that was blank.
Jim
  #4  
Old April 25th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 1:16:59 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
Glideport.aero is working fine in Win8.1 and Win10 both with Firefox. Had to tell the home stereo (Win10) to accept the cookies, before that was blank.
Jim


Worked fine on my Chrome/Winduz 7 Professional

Just wished that the tracks shown were reporting altitude and fixes at 10 second intervals Some do, most don't but that is a function of the tracker not the web site!

Bob 7U
  #5  
Old May 5th 16, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 70
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:16:55 -0700, JS wrote:

Glideport.aero is working fine in Win8.1 and Win10 both with Firefox.
Had to tell the home stereo (Win10) to accept the cookies, before that
was blank.
Jim


I just had to confirm a security exemption to get glideport.aero to work
(Firefox on Linux). Have seen some inconsistent problems using the ssa
link.

Also, it didn't pick up my Spot trace yesterday, worked fine last year.

-Dave
  #6  
Old June 26th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 6:41:50 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli


SPOT have changed their mapping service and formats, here is how to make a URL suitable for use at glideport.aero:-

share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09zinCBIVfVFEcsbxqddrCIFbMlqMPx xx
where the example starting with 09z is replaced by your own XML link. This has to be a separate link with a different title than your shared page. Here is how to get your XML number:-
1) log in to findmespot.com
2)Maps
3)History mode
4)Manage (little lines with check marks icon)
5)Shared Views
6) Add shared view
7) Make a shared view with a different tile such as MYXMLFeed
8) Home
9) XML Feed
10) View Details on MYXMLFeed
11) The XML Feed ID should be displayed. Copy and paste it, append it to the text
share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=
and you are good to go.
Worked for me!!

Sometimes a SPOT will work for years with glideport, then sudenly stop working. This is because if glideport ever has a communication difficulty with SPOT, it automatically deletes that particular XML feed as a safety precaution. The fix is to make another XML feed on your SPOT account, then register this new feed on glideport. There is a way to test your XML feed, simply go to this URL:-
https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main...x/message.json
with your own XML Feed ID. If you get an error message then there is something wrong with the feed, contact SPOT. If you get position fixes but glideport does not display your SPOT, then make a new XML feed and register the new feed with SPOT. Each new feed typically lasts several years, and you can delete obsolete ones on the SPOT site.

Duncan
  #7  
Old August 30th 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Tisdale
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli

I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

Bill T
  #8  
Old August 30th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,214
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 6:35:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli

I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

Bill T

It's working for me.
  #9  
Old August 30th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 561
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 06:35:48 -0700, Bill Tisdale wrote:

I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link
from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No
response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

If your PC has the ping and traceroute commands installed, try them to
see if/where there's a network problem. IIRC they are standard issue for
Windows and definitely for Linux. Dunno about Apple kit. They are run
from the command line. In case you haven't used them:

Both are run from the command line:

ping glideport.aero

shows success or failure at contacting the URP you give it.

traceroute glideport.aero

shows every step along the way from you to the URL on success and
otherwise shows where the fault lies and what the fault is.

You don't need these programs all the time, but they are very useful in
working out whether a connection is broken and if so, where.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

  #10  
Old August 30th 20, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,214
Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 9:00:36 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 06:35:48 -0700, Bill Tisdale wrote:

I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link
from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No
response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

If your PC has the ping and traceroute commands installed, try them to
see if/where there's a network problem. IIRC they are standard issue for
Windows and definitely for Linux. Dunno about Apple kit. They are run
from the command line. In case you haven't used them:

Both are run from the command line:

ping glideport.aero

shows success or failure at contacting the URP you give it.

traceroute glideport.aero

shows every step along the way from you to the URL on success and
otherwise shows where the fault lies and what the fault is.

You don't need these programs all the time, but they are very useful in
working out whether a connection is broken and if so, where.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org


I tried traceroute, but that command is not supported under Win10. Ping is, and I got 4 reasonable responses. The IP address for glideport.aero is http://107.170.23.252/. When I enter that in the search bar I get connected to glideport.aero.

Tom
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSA Sailplane Tracker Nick Kennedy Soaring 2 August 17th 14 12:46 AM
GliderPort/Sailplane Tracker instructions (for contest staff)? noel.wade Soaring 1 July 1st 13 03:20 AM
Sailplane Tracker oddness/bug (15-m and Open Nats) noel.wade Soaring 10 June 27th 13 10:57 PM
SSA Sailplane Tracker problem Grider Pirate Soaring 7 April 11th 10 02:22 PM
SSA Creates National Sailplane Tracker List - Free to SSA Members Frank[_12_] Soaring 16 October 11th 09 05:42 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.