A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best Overall Motorglider available today?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 15th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 269
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality
Nick
T
Ads
  #2  
Old September 15th 20, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 677
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality
Nick
T


Perhaps add current delivery time from order
  #3  
Old September 15th 20, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 269
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 12:19:11 PM UTC-6, Dan Daly wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality

Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware
Nick

  #4  
Old September 15th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,544
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware


Perhaps 2G's 26?
  #5  
Old September 15th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,326
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Stemme.* Except for acquisition cost...

On 9/15/2020 12:34 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware

Perhaps 2G's 26?


--
Dan, 5J
  #6  
Old September 15th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 163
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 3:59:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Stemme. Except for acquisition cost...
On 9/15/2020 12:34 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware

Perhaps 2G's 26?

--
Dan, 5J

For a Touring Motorglider, I vote for the Phoenix.
  #7  
Old September 15th 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality
Nick
T


Value and performance for the price- DG-400
UH
  #9  
Old September 16th 20, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 269
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

I was thinking single seat Cross Country flying
I've flown the Phoenix, too low performance, looking for at least 40/1
I've got a fair amount of time in the Stemme with Glider Bob.
Stemme is too much of everything, cost, weight, complexity.
I think the Stemme was concieved by mating a B-52 and a Abrams tank.
The ASH 26E is very high on the list. Bill Gawthrop loved his and put up a ton of big flights in it and I don't remember him having many problems with it.
The DG 400 is too but I've read engine parts are hard to come by these days, but they do trade hands for 60-65K.
What about the Carat? Looks kinda funny with the prop blades folded forward, but Randal Acree puts up some impressive flights in his. What do they trade hands for?
Nick
T
  #10  
Old September 16th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 269
Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Wikipedia say the Carat is 35/1
4 cyl Volkswagon like aircooled 1800cc engine.
Cannot be airstarted, must have battery power to engage the starter motor.
Nick
T
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 12:17 PM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 01:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 05:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.