Welding question 2

Old June 9th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Welding question 2

"cavelamb" wrote

But outdoors, the gas will blow away without shielding the weld.
Flux core wire for outside work...

I had not thought of that, but I have never welded outside of a shop,
either. It has to do with big power supplies, and the availability
outdoors, I suppose.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 10th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pbc76049" wrote in message
Hey Bill.
If this is one of the cobra trailers with the rubber suspended
axle coming up thru the floor...... I'd stop and have a fab shop
add some stiffeners to the structure and have somebody do it
with the right tools. I'd HATE to have the trailer fail and break an
expensive plastic toy inside. YMMV

It's a Komet trailer and yes, the axle was coming up through the floor. I
have a new axle on order. The old one had a hardened rubber torsion member
which is probably the cause of the frame cracking. BTW, nothing wrong with
rubber torsion axles except the finite life - they're cheap to replace but
you have to do it every ten years.

There remains one possible problem. The new axle SHOULD bolt right up to
the frame bolts but the best computer work by a knowledgeable tech at the
"Red Neck Trailer Shop" (Honest, that is the name) couldn't assure that the
new one will fit so I may have to weld up a new attach points anyway..

I doubt this trailer will ever break again. I added enough extra square
tubing and angle to insure that. All the extra metal is welded in place
with aircraft grade oxy-acetylene welds. All I am doing with the wire-feed
buzz box is closing up the bottom. It's real hard to weld UP with an
oxy-acetylene torch.

Interestingly, when I grind the oxy-acetylene welds, they work the same as
the substrate. The wire feed beads, on the other hand, are much harder
than the substrate. The arc beads are like stellite.

Bill Daniels