Tomahawk 125 hp STC performance?

Old April 27th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

Default Tomahawk 125 hp STC performance?

Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

Thanks
virtuPIC

--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com

Old April 27th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Apr 27, 5:19 am, virtuPIC wrote:
Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

A 12hp gain over the factory engine would not do much for cruise speed
(5kt?) or change fuel burn noticeably. The climb rate might be a bit
better though

Old April 27th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Apr 27, 10:25 am, Kingfish wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:19 am, virtuPIC wrote:

Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

A 12hp gain over the factory engine would not do much for cruise speed
(5kt?) or change fuel burn noticeably. The climb rate might be a bit
better though

Oops. That's a whopping *13* HP gain over the stock PA38-112.

Weak math skills. My bad.

Old April 27th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Kingfish wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:19 am, virtuPIC wrote:
Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

A 12hp gain over the factory engine would not do much for cruise speed
(5kt?) or change fuel burn noticeably. The climb rate might be a bit
better though

You can soup up a VW, it's still a VW.
Old April 27th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 27, 8:31 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
Kingfish wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:19 am, virtuPIC wrote:
Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

A 12hp gain over the factory engine would not do much for cruise speed
(5kt?) or change fuel burn noticeably. The climb rate might be a bit
better though

You can soup up a VW, it's still a VW.

One of the best things about the Tramahawk is that you can sit aloft
for hours on end on next to no gas. The 125hp engine must suck more
gas.

Old April 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Kingfish" wrote

Oops. That's a whopping *13* HP gain over the stock PA38-112.

Weak math skills. My bad.

That is still around a 10% improvement in HP, so it should be noticeable,
most likely in climb and in fuel burn.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 28th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Apr 27, 11:23 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

One of the best things about the Tramahawk is that you can sit aloft
for hours on end on next to no gas. The 125hp engine must suck more
gas.

I thought the best thing about that airplane was its sturdy landing
gear. I can personally attest to its strength after several carrier
landings when I was training for my PPL.

Nowadays, the 125hp Conti-powered Katana is just the thing to buzz
around in and not burn much gas - at 130kts to boot

Old April 28th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"virtuPIC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, there is this kit to boost your Tomahawk to 125 hp. However, so
far I could not find statements on speed gain and fuel burn.

So my questions are
o How fast do you go with it?
o How much fuel do you burn?

Thanks
virtuPIC

--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com

I owned a Tomahawk for several years. Realistically, it was a 100-105 knot
aircraft - the book said 108, but that was for a factory new airplane.

Anyway, I just ran the numbers and you should expect to burn 7 gph at 75%,
and you'll see maybe 4 additional knots of airspeed. The biggest improvement
will be in climb performance. At sea level, you should see an additional 250
fpm...

KB

Old April 29th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Kingfish" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 27, 11:23 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

One of the best things about the Tramahawk is that you can sit aloft
for hours on end on next to no gas. The 125hp engine must suck more
gas.

I thought the best thing about that airplane was its sturdy landing
gear. I can personally attest to its strength after several carrier
landings when I was training for my PPL.

I rattled my own teeth, and my instructor's, a few times; before the
extended float float from a couple of faster than normal approaches gave me
enough time to observe and learn. After that it was easy to be fairly
smooth--even though the undercarriage is a bit stiffer than on a Cessna 152.

OTOH, you definitely *can* break it. The FBO I rented from had two
Tomahawks--until some fool stalled one much too high. (Truth be told, I
never found out whether he simply slammed it down on the mains or let the
nose drop as well--it happened at a remote field and IIRC there was
additional damage from the recovery and transport.)

Nowadays, the 125hp Conti-powered Katana is just the thing to buzz
around in and not burn much gas - at 130kts to boot

I am looking forward to trying the Katana, as well as the Sport Cruiser.

Peter

Old April 29th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"virtuPIC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That confirms what I have long suspected: I could only justify it to
operate from a higher altitude airport--which is just not in the cards.

Peter

Tomahawk Launch niceguy Aviation Photos 0 November 15th 06 09:48 PM
Tomahawk/ Skipper W P Dixon Piloting 46 November 18th 05 05:43 PM
Complex / High Performance / Low Performance R.T. Owning 22 July 6th 04 08:04 AM
New tactical tomahawk BOB URZ Military Aviation 19 June 23rd 04 07:22 PM
Are these Tomahawk Engines? Peter Strong Military Aviation 9 April 8th 04 01:41 PM