Removing paint from windshield

Old June 1st 04, 06:47 AM
tony roberts

Default Removing paint from windshield

so - the continuing saga - after my glareshield fell off on takeoff (see
earlier post) a friend repaired it and remounted it. Then he noticed
that he had "missed" a few spots so he brought the aerosol of black
paint into the cockpit . . . well, you can guess the rest.
Does anyone know how to remove black paint spots from the windshield?
600 grade wet and dry paper was suggested by our local aircraft parts
supply house - sounds a bit extreme to me. I also tried lexan scratch
remover - GREAT product - available from any good Harley Dealer - great
on scratches that is - not too hot on paint.

Any ideas gratefully received

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old June 1st 04, 10:30 AM
Rip

RemovAll. It's a hydrogen peroxide based paint stripper, available from
Aircraft Spruce. Do a web search because it's also available in aerosol
cans for just the reason you mention.

Old June 1st 04, 01:07 PM
Stu Gotts

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:30:24 GMT, Rip
wrote:

I removed a lot of over spray on a windshield one using the
"ClearFix:" system, although it may be difficult to use on the inside.
And also try plain old isopropyl alcohol. D'Shannon recommends this
on their new replacement "glass" to remove excess proseal so don't
worry about harming the item.

A product that I use around the home is "Goo Gone". Works great, but
I haven't the slightest idea what it would do to the plexi.

Old June 1st 04, 01:15 PM
Rich

ABSOLUTELY
I had some overspray on my windshield. After many months I tried
alcohol. I was astounded to see how well it works.

Don't rush. Allow the alcohol to do its job. Rub gently with a series
of clean terry cloths. Above all, don't do further damage by using
paper towels or rubbing too hard. Just take your time and let the
alcohol do its work.

Rich

Old June 1st 04, 04:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

tony roberts wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove black paint spots from the windshield?

If it hasn't been too long, a cotton rag soaked in mineral spirits or naptha will get
it off. I would try that immediately. If that doesn't work, buy some "Micromesh".
Start with the finest mesh in the kit. I would say that 600 grit paper is a recipe
for a new windshield.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 1st 04, 04:55 PM
Michelle P

Tony,
The chemical solutions are the better way to go. If they do not work 600
paper will scratch the living daylights out of the windshield. Sounds
like they are trying to sell more products. If you use "sand" (abrasive)
paper then start with 2000 and move up to 4000 or 6000 if you can get it.

Michelle

tony roberts wrote:

so - the continuing saga - after my glareshield fell off on takeoff (see
earlier post) a friend repaired it and remounted it. Then he noticed
that he had "missed" a few spots so he brought the aerosol of black
paint into the cockpit . . . well, you can guess the rest.
Does anyone know how to remove black paint spots from the windshield?
600 grade wet and dry paper was suggested by our local aircraft parts
supply house - sounds a bit extreme to me. I also tried lexan scratch
remover - GREAT product - available from any good Harley Dealer - great
on scratches that is - not too hot on paint.

Any ideas gratefully received

Tony

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old June 1st 04, 06:18 PM
Gerald Sylvester

If it hasn't been too long, a cotton rag soaked in mineral spirits or naptha will get
it off.

Napthalene? that is very very nasty stuff.

I'm definitely not an expert but I'd probably recommend not using
mineral spirits as it could damage the plastic ('glass'). Better
to use the 90% plus ethanol.

That is our procedure for cleaning my company's equipment. The
glare shield and especially my company's equipment takes tons of
radiation so any imperfection microscopically or macroscopically
could be bad.

Gerald

Old June 2nd 04, 01:32 AM
Al Gilson

In article nospam-A954F6.22495731052004@shawnews, tony roberts
wrote:

so - the continuing saga - after my glareshield fell off on takeoff (see
earlier post) a friend repaired it and remounted it. Then he noticed
that he had "missed" a few spots so he brought the aerosol of black
paint into the cockpit . . . well, you can guess the rest.
Does anyone know how to remove black paint spots from the windshield?
600 grade wet and dry paper was suggested by our local aircraft parts
supply house - sounds a bit extreme to me. I also tried lexan scratch
remover - GREAT product - available from any good Harley Dealer - great
on scratches that is - not too hot on paint.

Any ideas gratefully received

Tony

My teenager.....oops...never mind...wrong question. Ya got me old friend,
(but I still have your hat).
- - -- - -
Al Gilson
1964 172E
KSFF
Spokane, WA

--
Al Gilson
Spokane, WA USA
Old June 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
Bushy

mineral spirits as it could damage the plastic ('glass'). Better
to use the 90% plus ethanol.

Alcohol can cause acrylics (perspex) to craze. Something you won't like in a
windscreen, so if it's perspex (and possibly lexan) rather than glass, don't
use alcohol.

I used it on one of the perspex housings on one spark machine at work and it
does craze it!!!

Peter

Old June 3rd 04, 07:53 PM
Nigel T Peart

I have used 1200 paper with plenty of water, and then 'brasso' as a final
polish. Works great to
remove the fine scratches accumulated over 30 years. Hard work though.