Microair Mic Problem

Old July 19th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green

Default Microair Mic Problem

I have a Microaire Transponder. It failed after about 9 months. No
problem getting it fixed and it is going strong for the past 2 years.
Their radio may be another story.

mg

BTIZ wrote:
"Mal" wrote in message

http://www.mrsoaring.com/squealing_mikes.htm

HTH

Is MicroAir still in business? IT so, they have the worst customer support
program ever. They have failed to answer repeated attempted contacts for
support on their 760 radio. We are replacing it with a Becker.

I find it surprising that mrsoaring is supporting such a company. But then
again, it looks like they are on the same continent.

BT

Old July 19th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Mike I Green wrote:
I have a Microaire Transponder. It failed after about 9 months. No
problem getting it fixed and it is going strong for the past 2 years.
Their radio may be another story.

mg

Seems like it is the luck of the draw on the Microair radio. I have one
that worked fine for several years, but I recently replaced it with
another brand because its ergonomics aren't the best.
Old July 19th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

Greg Arnold wrote:
Mike I Green wrote:
I have a Microaire Transponder. It failed after about 9 months. No
problem getting it fixed and it is going strong for the past 2 years.
Their radio may be another story.

mg

Seems like it is the luck of the draw on the Microair radio. I have one
that worked fine for several years, but I recently replaced it with
another brand because its ergonomics aren't the best.

Our club has three in use, one actual failure in maybe 10 years of
total time. Excellent transmit quality with amplified Telex dynamic
mikes. I'd sure try one of those to see how they work. Make sure
you don't use the external Microair amplifier.

I agree on the ergonomics, not the best for a club environment.

-Dave
Old July 20th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian McPhee

My name (mrsoaring) has been used re Microair boom mics I notice

I made about 1800 boom mics and about 1/2 of those were sold thru Microair
but for the past 12 months they have made their own.

The original mic (mine) was electret. Their new mics are amplified dynamic
mics using aluminum fill. I once used aluminum fill - big mistake as it
work hardens and springy. For the last 1000 or so mics they have been brass
fill (11mm diameter) If you have one of those springy mics then best
contact me direct and will do something for you (guess 3+ years old).

I now make amplified dynamic which work with Microair, Xcom Icom Terra etc
Genave Terra and a dynamic only for Becker Dittel etc

Setting up in field I adj gain so it works well 1 or 2 cm from lips but does
not work well when 10 to 15cm away. I listen on another radio 30m away.
This is essential in open cockpit aircraft such as Tigermoth and open
ultralights

I am no longer listed as a Microair dealer on their web site but all I say
is never take no from Microair till they get it right!! They do not like
low voltage - I recommend use of 16g aircraft wire especially in big 2
seaters like ASH25. -18g is OK for single seaters - I recommend dual
batteries and a good switch to use is C&K7211 with bat1 bat2 and OFF. Also
be careful with voltage loss across those glass fuses -contacts can play up.

Please fee free to contact me off line - go thru mrsoaring.com site

Ian McPhee.(mrsoaring.com)... Byron Bay Australia

"Bela Szalai" wrote in message
Check the type of fuse(s) used between the battery terminals and the
radio.

On my first glider it took me months to realize that I had a slow blowing
fuse that dropped the voltage about 0.5 volts and made transmission
scratchy.

- Béla

Microair vs Becker Ian McPhee Soaring 0 August 30th 03 09:45 PM
Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot RamyYanetz Soaring 3 August 26th 03 03:06 PM