A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider Recommendations



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 17th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justrolln
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Glider Recommendations

I’m new to the sport and am thinking about getting my first glider
this summer. I was hoping that you guys would all put your 2 cents in
and help me sort through all the wonderful why A is better than B…
Some things I’m concerned about are

I’m 6’2” and mostly torso. When I sit in a DG 1000 I take up a LOT of
the cockpit. It’s not uncomfortable, but I don’t think I would go any
smaller…

I’m paralyzed from about the waist down – so I will be using a hand
controlled rudder (even more reason to have a good sized cockpit) –
Also, pushing myself around all day in my wheelchair has made my
shoulders a bit wide… And, because I sit on my butt all day long, it
would be nice if I could fit a 1-2” pad under my butt while flying –
to prevent pressure sores on those long flights.

Ease of assembly: since I can’t do it myself – I’m sure to be asking
others for help – and I’m sure people won’t hate me as much if my
glider is not a pain to put together…

Motor: If I land out, it might be a really bad day for me. Sitting
in the glider waiting until crew arrives could be a big bummer… not a
total necessity, but a good thing to keep in mind.

Flaps: I think I’d rather not have them… I’m not sure how often you
adjust them in flight, but I’ll have right hand stick, left hand
stick, trim, spoilers, radio to worry about operating with my hands
already. I figure one less thing would be ok… But, if they really
help out maybe I should get them – I’m not too sure on this one

Type of flying: I made it out to avenal for a day last week and had a
blast, while I will do a fair amount of hanging around my local
airport (crystal) my main goal will be cross country and racing.

$: this is most likely the most important thing… I would like to
keep it around the $50,000 or so mark. I would pay more if there is
an engine in there (I’ve seen some DG 400s in the 60s…) and if I can
spend $30,000 and get 95% of a $50,000 ship, i'd rather do that

Any input would be great, or if you have questions that I haven’t
thought of that would be great too.

Ships I’ve considered
ASW 20
ASW 24 (how do these handle – fast thermaling speed?)
Genesis 2 (big cockpit – but how does it fly)
Discus (with large fuselage)
Ventus
DG 303 elan
LS-3
PIK 20E
DG 400
Ventus CM

Thanks again for any help -
Ads
  #2  
Old May 20th 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 87
Default Glider Recommendations

I'm the (newly assigned) chapter manager for one of the Freedom's
Wings Canada chapters (providing inspiration flights and flight
training for the physically challenged)... we're looking at $8,000 per
ship to modify our remaining Grob 103's to have hand controls. My
soaring club just got an ASK-21 with factory-installed hand controls,
that was a pretty penny on top of the cost, too.

Your posting raised some concerns for me:
- you say "new to the sport", but not how much experience you have,
nor the ships you've flown (other then DG-1000). Are you prepared to
handle any of the ships you mentioned?
- most of the ships you listed are flapped, which you wanted to rule
out
- motor gliders are more workload and extra training is required (and
maintenance)

Flaps aren't good or bad, they're "different". There are advantages
and disadvantages, and pilots far more experienced than I could extol
the virtues of having either. I fly both (my own ship is flapped),
and it's certainly simpler without. You'll want to follow the KISS
principle, I should think.

You might wish to contact Freedom's Wings Florida, based at Tampa Bay
Soaring Society for recommendations and information on modifying US
gliders.

Good luck in the search!
-John
  #3  
Old May 20th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 359
Default Glider Recommendations

The hand controls I have seen have been on ships that drive the rudder
with a push rod, like the G-103. The hand control is mounted on the
left side and is connected to the rudder push-rod, behind the rear
seat. How does one hook a hand control to a ship that uses cables to
drive its rudder? Most rudder pedals only move the rudder on one side
and use a spring to keep tension when the other pedal is moved.
JJ
  #4  
Old May 20th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Glider Recommendations

On May 20, 7:00*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
The hand controls I have seen have been on ships that drive the rudder
with a push rod, like the G-103. The hand control is mounted on the
left side and is connected to the rudder push-rod, behind the rear
seat. How does one hook a hand control to a ship that uses cables to
drive its rudder? *Most rudder pedals only move the rudder on one side
and use a spring to keep tension when the other pedal is moved.
JJ


I have also seen a G102 set up with hand controls. The spoiler handle
was un sprung and had a detent so it could be set for landing and
rudder controlled with the left hand.
  #5  
Old May 21st 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 194
Default Glider Recommendations

On May 20, 5:21*pm, glider12321 wrote:
On May 20, 7:00*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

The hand controls I have seen have been on ships that drive the rudder
with a push rod, like the G-103. The hand control is mounted on the
left side and is connected to the rudder push-rod, behind the rear
seat. How does one hook a hand control to a ship that uses cables to
drive its rudder? *Most rudder pedals only move the rudder on one side
and use a spring to keep tension when the other pedal is moved.
JJ


I have also seen a G102 set up with hand controls. The spoiler handle
was un sprung and had a detent so it could be set for landing and
rudder controlled with the left hand.


I am a volunteer instructor for Freedoms Wings International..we fly
out of several NE airports.

We have two Grob 103's with hand control rudder and spoiler with
detents...

Yes, the Grob has a "pushrod" rudder which allows a simple hand
control , connected to the rear left rudder pedal to control either
left or right rudder......hand control can be fitted to front or rear
seat as well......other gliders with cable controlled rudder will be
more difficult to fit a hand control rudder.

As far as I know, the Grob 103 and the ASK 21 are "factory approved"
for manual control.....

I am not usre if any single seat gliders come with factory approved
manual control..if not, considerable FAA paperwork may be required....

I would suggest that you consider the Gorb 103......a two seater has
some obvious advantages, and can alway be flown solo if desired...also
should fall well short of your price range....
even with manual control modifications...

You can do a web search for freedomw wings international and get some
contacts for further information


Bob Cook



  #6  
Old May 21st 11, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reed von Gal
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Glider Recommendations

On May 20, 11:26*pm, "
wrote:
On May 20, 5:21*pm, glider12321 wrote:

On May 20, 7:00*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:


The hand controls I have seen have been on ships that drive the rudder
with a push rod, like the G-103. The hand control is mounted on the
left side and is connected to the rudder push-rod, behind the rear
seat. How does one hook a hand control to a ship that uses cables to
drive its rudder? *Most rudder pedals only move the rudder on one side
and use a spring to keep tension when the other pedal is moved.
JJ


I have also seen a G102 set up with hand controls. The spoiler handle
was un sprung and had a detent so it could be set for landing and
rudder controlled with the left hand.


I am a volunteer instructor for Freedoms Wings International..we fly
out of several NE airports.

We have two Grob 103's with hand *control rudder and spoiler with
detents...

Yes, the Grob has a "pushrod" rudder which allows a simple hand
control , connected to the rear left rudder pedal to control either
left or right rudder......hand control can be fitted to front or rear
seat as well......other gliders with cable controlled rudder will be
more difficult to fit a hand control rudder.

As far as I know, the Grob 103 and the ASK 21 are "factory approved"
for manual control.....

I am not usre if any single seat gliders come with factory approved
manual control..if not, considerable FAA paperwork may be required....

I would suggest that you consider the Gorb 103......a two seater has
some obvious advantages, and can alway be flown solo if desired...also
should fall well short of your price range....
even with manual control modifications...

You can do a web search for freedomw wings international and get *some
contacts for further information

Bob Cook


There is a Grob 103 at Mile High Gliding in Boulder with the hand
controls. It isn't currently set up but can be with no problem I hear.
They also have a 102 in a trailer with hand controls I believe.

Reed
  #7  
Old May 23rd 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justrolln
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Glider Recommendations

Thanks for the posts-

I'd rather not buy a grob - as that is ship I'm training in... and I
think I can do a bit better than the grobs performance - especially if
I get a single place glider. (if i need a 2 place, I can rent one
from my field.)

I know that dealing with the FAA and getting hand controls installed
might (will) be a pain - however, I don't think I should settle for a
lesser glider because of my disability. If things get out of hand,
I'm sure a letter from a good lawyer talking about discrimination and
the ADA will help things along... Nevertheless, an 'experimental'
glider wouldn't be a bad thing in my situation...

For this discussion, let's assume that getting hand controls installed
isn't going to be a problem. What I'm mainly interested in is, if you
had about $50,000 to spend on a glider (and were a decent sized-large
guy interested in contests and cross country), what would it be, and
why.
I'm particularly interested in any non-flap gliders that I haven't
mentioned (the more I fly, I don't think flaps would be a big issue
but it'd be nice to know the options out there.)

Thanks again
  #8  
Old May 23rd 11, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default Glider Recommendations

On 5/22/2011 10:19 PM, Justrolln wrote:
Thanks for the posts-

I'd rather not buy a grob - as that is ship I'm training in... and I
think I can do a bit better than the grobs performance - especially if
I get a single place glider. (if i need a 2 place, I can rent one
from my field.)

I know that dealing with the FAA and getting hand controls installed
might (will) be a pain - however, I don't think I should settle for a
lesser glider because of my disability. If things get out of hand,
I'm sure a letter from a good lawyer talking about discrimination and
the ADA will help things along... Nevertheless, an 'experimental'
glider wouldn't be a bad thing in my situation...

For this discussion, let's assume that getting hand controls installed
isn't going to be a problem. What I'm mainly interested in is, if you
had about $50,000 to spend on a glider (and were a decent sized-large
guy interested in contests and cross country), what would it be, and
why.



Discus? Big cockpit, easy to fly, and for most of us as competitive as
the latest gliders. For $50,000 you should be able to get one in
excellent shape with a Cobra trailer.


I'm particularly interested in any non-flap gliders that I haven't
mentioned (the more I fly, I don't think flaps would be a big issue
but it'd be nice to know the options out there.)

Thanks again


  #9  
Old May 23rd 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Glider Recommendations

On May 22, 11:46*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 5/22/2011 10:19 PM, Justrolln wrote:





Thanks for the posts-


I'd rather not buy a grob - as that is ship I'm training in... and I
think I can do a bit better than the grobs performance - especially if
I get a single place glider. *(if i need a 2 place, I can rent one
from my field.)


I know that dealing with the FAA and getting hand controls installed
might (will) be a pain - however, I don't think I should settle for a
lesser glider because of my disability. *If things get out of hand,
I'm sure a letter from a good lawyer talking about discrimination and
the ADA will help things along... *Nevertheless, an 'experimental'
glider wouldn't be a bad thing in my situation...


For this discussion, let's assume that getting hand controls installed
isn't going to be a problem. What I'm mainly interested in is, if you
had about $50,000 to spend on a glider (and were a decent sized-large
guy interested in contests and cross country), what would it be, and
why.


Discus? *Big cockpit, easy to fly, and for most of us as competitive as
the latest gliders. *For $50,000 you should be able to get one in
excellent shape with a Cobra trailer.



I'm particularly interested in any non-flap gliders that I haven't
mentioned (the more I fly, I don't think flaps would be a big issue
but it'd be nice to know the options out there.)


Thanks again- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Genesis 2.. Also very easy to fly, even more forgiving for lower time
pilots, no bad habits.. Larger cockpit... more elbow room for
controls. 40+:1 glide, excellent at high speeds. Nose dragger… no need
to transition to a tail dragger. I rented one a few times and was
amazed by what a nice glider this is.
  #10  
Old May 23rd 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 504
Default Glider Recommendations

On 5/22/2011 11:19 PM, Justrolln wrote:
Thanks for the posts-

I'd rather not buy a grob - as that is ship I'm training in... and I
think I can do a bit better than the grobs performance - especially if
I get a single place glider. (if i need a 2 place, I can rent one
from my field.)

I know that dealing with the FAA and getting hand controls installed
might (will) be a pain - however, I don't think I should settle for a
lesser glider because of my disability. If things get out of hand,
I'm sure a letter from a good lawyer talking about discrimination and
the ADA will help things along... Nevertheless, an 'experimental'
glider wouldn't be a bad thing in my situation...

For this discussion, let's assume that getting hand controls installed
isn't going to be a problem. What I'm mainly interested in is, if you
had about $50,000 to spend on a glider (and were a decent sized-large
guy interested in contests and cross country), what would it be, and
why.
I'm particularly interested in any non-flap gliders that I haven't
mentioned (the more I fly, I don't think flaps would be a big issue
but it'd be nice to know the options out there.)

Thanks again


The following is old information, but possibly of 'encouragement use' in any
event.

Some time ago (~15 years?) I encountered a hand-control-equipped AS W-24 flown
by a paraplegic male, then based out of Jackson Hole, WY. Unfortunately I
don't remember his name, nor the ship's registration category (e.g.
'Experimental'). It did not have a sustainer; he did fly it XC (though he
sought to land only on airports to minimize heat-related retrieve issues); he
depended upon a cell phone for retrieve calls.

Best of luck!

Bob W.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flapped Glider Recommendations... noel.wade Soaring 54 January 10th 08 11:58 PM
DME recommendations mindenpilot Owning 27 April 11th 05 05:23 PM
Recommendations - near FLL Hilton Piloting 2 March 16th 05 06:04 AM
MFD recommendations Richard Kaplan Owning 13 January 27th 04 04:04 PM
MFD recommendations Richard Kaplan Products 13 January 27th 04 04:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.