GPU conversions

Old June 12th 04, 10:16 PM
Sean Trost

Default GPU conversions

Hi all what would be involved in converting a GPU to a usable aircraft
powerplant ?

looking specifically at the O-290.

Ive googled and not come up with much.

Thanks in advance.
Sean Trost

Old June 13th 04, 12:12 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

Hi all what would be involved in converting a GPU to a usable aircraft
powerplant ?
looking specifically at the O-290.

Ive googled and not come up with much.

That's really an ancient question! A good bet is to contact EAA (you are a
member, of course) and get references from them -- old copies of Sport
Aviation (now available on CD-ROM), and maybe a dedicated book on the
topic.

Ed WIschmeyer
Member, EAA Homebuilt Aircraft Council
Old June 13th 04, 01:32 AM
jerry Wass

I gots one of them there how to convert books, It's 9 years older'n God,
but so's the engine--I'll send you a little pitcher of it & yew can
see---yew better price all the parts you might need for o/haul berfore you
decide---they's a gittin scarce....

Old June 13th 04, 01:41 AM
Cy Galley

At one time the EAA had a manual on the procedure and may still be
available. Ken Brock used to machine the cases to remove the heavy mounting
flange and add a second mag drive. The O-290 crank has a light prop flange
that is prone to cracking. Aircraft Spruce and Ken Brock both sell a
re-inforcement plate. See p172 of the current Aircraft Spruce catalog.

If you want this engine, I know there are many of them just languishing in
the back of hangars. I have a friend that flew his LongEze for many trouble
free hours before he replaced it with an O-320. I believe the parts are
getting harder to find and more expensive was the basic reason he didn't
overhaul it.
--
Cy Galley
Safety Programs Editor

. com...

Old June 13th 04, 03:46 PM
Sean Trost

Thanks to all who responded.
The Motor in Question is on Ebay right now For those interested. I have
decided to wait and try and score a 320 or 360 somehow.
Sean Trost

Old June 13th 04, 11:26 PM
Gordon Arnaut

Sean, where is that O-290 GPU on eBay.

I searched but couldn't find it.

Regards,

Gordon.

Old June 13th 04, 11:53 PM
Sean Trost

Gordon,
looks to me like it has two mags on it. and an aircraft sump. so
mebeee not a GPU.
its item #2481925834
good luck
Sean

Old June 14th 04, 03:32 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Sean Trost wrote

...and an aircraft sump...

I disagree. The downdraft carb behind the accessory case is one of the
hallmarks of the O-290G, so I believe that it still has the GPU sump.
Also, the heavy crankcase flange at the crank output is another O-290G
giveaway.

It _does_ look like it has two mags, and that's a puzzler to me.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old June 15th 04, 06:01 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, jerry Wass wrote:

I say,Gov'nr, ---if you remove the governor,
you can install another mag.

Ah, so that's what that beastie is. Thanks!

Bob K.